Q. My wife has thoughts of hurting our baby. What has to be done?

Dr. Ruhi Satija
Published on Dec 09, 2019

I am in a relationship and I need to give you her background. As a child growing up she was sexually and physically abused. She has a couple diagnoses however today she confided in me that she was having thoughts of hurting people and our one year old daughter. I can guarantee she would never act on it but we have had therapists call child services on us so we are trying not to talk to our therapist about this. She is also off her medication and waiting on her medical Marijuana card to arrive. Over the past three years she has been on 32 different medications and the pot is basically our last ditch effort. I am just looking for advice. It is much appreciated.

Dr. Ruhi Satija

Psychiatry
#

I would advise you to start her on medications. The thought of hurting your child should not be taken lightly. Ofcourse she would herself never do it, but you have no idea how powerful these thoughts can be. Please make sure she is on medication and in therapy. I cannot warn you enough. Your therapist is not wrong in taking such a step. I can understand it is a difficult spot to be in but, it is the right thing for your baby. Please till the time she is not stable, do not leave your child alone with her and make sure she is on medication and in therapy.

Please do not ignore mine or your therapist advice, it is always better to be cautious.

| 

Why do I get automatic negative thoughts regularly?

Query: Hello doctor, I am getting ANT (automatic negative thoughts) regularly. It is causing sleeplessness and stress. The problem started three months back. Everything looks negative, and everything I encounter seems wrong. Every time I do something, or I see something, negative images appear in my mind....  Read Full »

Emotion Focused Therapy

Article Overview: Emotionally focused therapy or emotion-focused therapy is a group of psychotherapy approaches that help couples with relationship problems. It works on the bases that human emotions are connected to human needs. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan
Psychologist Counsellor

What is Emotion-Focused Therapy (EFT)? Emotionally focused therapy or emotion-focused therapy is a group of psychotherapy approaches that help couples with relationship problems. This technique was developed by Dr.Sue Johnson and Dr.Les Greenberg in 1980s. It works on the bases that human emotions ...  Read Article

What is the reason for having negative thoughts and vivid dreams?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 56 years old. He is having negative thoughts and talks about deaths, has a vivid dream with severe sleepiness. He is not enjoying anything which he enjoyed before. He has short-term memory loss. He has fatigue with increased appetite. He has little issue in breathing during ...  Read Full »