Q. Does a pancreatic growth with nephrotic syndrome indicate malignancy?

Dr. Rajesh Gulati

I am super scared. I am 30 years old and have been in the hospital for nephrotic syndrome which was discovered to be membranous nephropathy. They tested my blood for many conditions which could be a secondary cause including hepatitis and autoimmune and nothing came up. Now, they are searching my body for malignancies. I am terrified that an MRI showed a growth on my pancreas. I have no symptoms of pancreatic cancer. No jaundice and no pain. However, a paternal great grandmother died of pancreatic cancer in her 60s.

Please look over these notes from my chart. Worse case scenario, if the biopsy finds a malignancy, in your opinion is this something that can be operated on? Does it appear to have been caught early? I am terrified. I am an only child for my mother and I do not want to leave my mom.

#

There can be many idiopathic causes of a nephrotic syndrome which respond good to medical management. As far as pancreatic mass is concerned, there are high chances for your mass to be benign lesions. So there is nothing to worry. Follow proper instructions for nephrotic syndrome. There is nothing seeming to be alarming.

Do you think the MRI report is alarming? Do you think I should have a biopsy?

#

MRI does not suggest malignancy (attachment removed to protect patient identity), still they advised for endoscopic USG, because USG in this case is more better. Also, in the case of pancreatic cancer, the tumor marker of pancreatic cancer CA19.9 rises dramatically. You must have got it checked, if it is not very high, there are high chancer of no pancreatic cancer and there is no need for biopsy. You can repeat MRI after one month and also repeat your CA19.9 and then you can decide further.

|