Q. I have weakness and pain in the arm. Should I anticipate surgery?

Dr. Chandan Mohanty

I recently had an MRI on my neck. I have a 75 % weakness and pain on the left arm (tricep). Should I anticipate surgery?

#

I am sorry to hear this. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The MRI report shows a pressure on the nerves in the cervical spine (neck). These nerves eventually go to your upper limbs. Hence the pain and weakness in your arm.
  • Unfortunately, the report does say that the compression on the nerves is severe. Hence there is a high likelihood of you requiring a surgery to relieve the nerve compression. Your surgeon will be able to make a decision based on your symptoms, clinical examination, and MRI results.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Best wishes.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Do you have an opinion on what type of cervical surgery is most appropriate? I am an elite level rock climber.

#

It is difficult to comment without seeing your scans and without examining you.

• Generally, the surgery can be done through an anterior approach (front of the neck) or from the back of the neck.
  • A surgery from the back of the neck (laminoforaminotomy) may be useful since it can be done through a keyhole or minimally invasive approach, which will allow minimal removal/disruption of structures and hence faster recovery.
  • However, please note that this is possible only if you are found to be the right candidate for it, based on your scans and clinical findings. Discuss this possibility and all your concerns with your surgeon. 

|