HomeAnswersOrthopedician and Traumatologynerve painMy thumb pain radiates to my right arm, shoulder, and chest, and it is more painful now. Please help.

What is the reason for the radiating pain over my right arm and the associated regions?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Atul Prakash

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At November 9, 2023
Reviewed AtDecember 7, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I am a 20-year-old girl. The problem started one year ago when I experienced pain in my thumb. The pain subsequently spread to my entire hand and then progressed to my right shoulder. When I sought medical attention, the doctor diagnosed it as a muscle pull. However, the prescribed medicines did not alleviate my pain. The pain further extended to the right side of my chest and its lower part. The doctor then suggested it might be cervical after a physical examination, but there was still no relief. I am experiencing a lot of pain in my right back shoulder bone.

Kindly help.

Answered by Dr. Atul Prakash


Thank you for trusting us with your healthcare.

I have reviewed your medical history and understand your concerns.

Your symptoms, as you describe them, may indicate cervical nerve root irritation.

  1. Do you experience numbness or weakness in your hand?
  2. Do you find your hands becoming clumsy?
  3. Is your neck stiff and painful to the touch in the middle?
  4. Can you move your neck fully and freely, or does the pain worsen with certain movements?
  5. Do you spend a lot of time on the laptop or using a mobile phone? Do you watch TV in bed with large pillows?
  6. Have you undergone physiotherapy?
  7. Are you taking any tablets?

Please provide answers to the questions above, and I will be able to assist you further.

I suggest the following tablets to take:

  1. Voveran (Diclofenac) SR (sustained-release) 75 mg, twice a day after meals
  2. Pantoprazole 40 mg, twice a day before meals.

Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with them, and take the medicines with their consent.

Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Atul Prakash
Dr. Atul Prakash

Orthopedician and Traumatology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Orthopedician and Traumatology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy