Neutropenia

Can Paracetamol and Ibuprofen cause neutropenia in children?

Query: Hello doctor, My 10-month-old baby had a viral infection with roseola infantum. It started fever 38.5 degrees and 39 degrees measured rectally on the second day treated with Ibuprofen 3.5 ml and Paracetamol (Panadol) 4 ml administrated after 6 hours (almost three days of treatment). The third day, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The low count may be because of the disease process and less likely the Paracetamol or Ibuprofen. Another reason can also be the way the sample was collected (although I am not very sure about it). Do not worry about it if the child is currently fine. However, I would a...  Read Full »

My neutrophil is getting lowered constantly. Is it leukemia?

Query: Hello doctor,I have lowering (variable) neutrophil for past two years. The count is like 2.6, 2.3, 2.0, 2.43, 1.91 being recent, which is lower than usual. The other counts like lymphocytes, platelets, and hemoglobin, RBC are all within range. My only problem is I am getting recurring cold. In the l...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to the icliniq.com. Your absolute neutrophil count is borderline low in the recent report. In the value of the previous description was within the range that is more than two. So it cannot be called persistent neutropenia because the normal range is more than two. Anyway, your perip...  Read Full »

Can DPT vaccine cause neutropenia?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 15 years. He got his DTaP vaccine two weeks ago and had CBC 20 days later. All came well except neutrophil count, which came back as 800 and total WBC 2500. We are going to repeat the test tomorrow. Can the vaccine be the cause for the neutropenia? And if so, how long will it ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: I doubt the vaccine could be the cause of neutropenia (neutrophil count less than normal). Though it can take place in some case like Influenza virus vaccine, but with DTP (diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis) have not been re...  Read Full »

What can be the cause for high B12 level in a person with MTHFR mutation?

Query: Hello doctor, I have genetic mutation MTHFR. I am on thyroid for hypothyroidism. My B12 level is 1476, the normal range is between 138 to 652 pmol/L. How can I lower my B12 level? Is this level a cause for concern? All the other blood levels are normal other than WBC which is at 3.4 and neutrophils...  Read Full »

Dr. Elina Angelova Beleva

Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is essential to know the primary reason for vitamin B12 testing. Was it done due to any complaints that could be related to anemia like fatigue, malaise, or any other symptoms that could be related to thrombotic complications possibly due to the inherited MTHFR ...  Read Full »

What is your opinion regarding the neutrophils count of my son?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 15 years old. His neutrophils count became 1000 from the first one which was 800 before a week. After 15 days, again the neutrophils count is 800 now with total WBC of 2600. He is healthy, active and has no infection. Please note that his dad had a blood count this week and his...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: If the neutrophils counts are varying, it means there is no vaccine-induced or any nutritional or genetic defect. As the other entire cell values including RBC and platelets are normal, these values must be normal for him. He...  Read Full »

What is the cause for neutropenia?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 15 months old. He was diagnosed with neutropenia. The neutrophils are critically low. My question is whether the illness is related to cancer? Also, what kind of treatment can be given?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your query and here is my advise. When there is a decrease in neutrophil count, the chances of infection are more. So, a close clinical observation is needed. If any unusual fever, dyspnea occurs, you should consult the doctor immediately. The low neutro...  Read Full »

My WBC is low for the past few years. Can this mean multiple myeloma?

Query: Hello doctor, For the past few years during my routine physical my WBC has been low. (2700-3700) Neutrophils have run a little low also. No other issues, completely healthy. My dad was diagnosed with multiple myeloma a few years ago but doing well. I have read about some family history with this di...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to the history provided, your main concern is regarding fear of multiple myeloma. In case of a multiple myeloma like malignancy, there is usually the presence of weakness, fatigue and bone pain. In multiple myeloma, osteolytic bone lesions occur and so bone...  Read Full »

In what conditions can the neutrophil count be at an absolute low?

Query: Hello doctor, What does it mean when neutrophils are at an absolute low (1.3)?  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Sardar Narayankar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. An absolute low count of neutrophils, which are the body's immune cells can occur post-infection mostly viral, as well as in bone marrow diseases and post-chemotherapy. For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask...  Read Full »

What is the reason behind neutropenia in an infant?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby boy is 3.5 months old. When he was 38 days old, he got a fever. I went to the hospital and the doctor said any infant who has fever without any other symptoms may have meningitis and so lumbar puncture was performed. It was positive and the WBC was 570 (clear), monomorph 80% an...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query and attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows: Your baby boy probably had viral meningitis looking at the positive WBC and high monomorph along with a negative culture. Now, that he does not have any f...  Read Full »

Am I suffering from leukemia?

Query: Hi doctor, My blood test shows lymphocytes 60% where the normal range is 20% to 45%. I had immunophenotyping and the values are CD23 - 2.11%, CD19 - 0.30% and CD5 - 79.9%. What does it indicate? Am I a leukemia patient? Please advise.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would also like to know the total leukocyte count, platelets, RBC (red blood cell) count. Did you have ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate)? Is this the only CBC (complete blood count) you ever had? Is there any fever, chills or weight loss? Please answer these quest...  Read Full »