Q. Am I suffering from leukemia?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 17, 2020

My blood test shows lymphocytes 60% where the normal range is 20% to 45%. I had immunophenotyping and the values are CD23 - 2.11%, CD19 - 0.30% and CD5 - 79.9%. What does it indicate? Am I a leukemia patient? Please advise.

#

• I would also like to know the total leukocyte count, platelets, RBC (red blood cell) count.
  • Did you have ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate)? Is this the only CBC (complete blood count) you ever had? Is there any fever, chills or weight loss?
  • Please answer these questions so that I can help you in a better way.
  • I am afraid that it might look like either leukemia or lymphomaLeukemoid reaction is another possibility and that happens in an acute infectious state.
  • Please share the entire CBC results and peripheral smear as well.
  • You may have to go through a bone marrow biopsy. I would highly suggest that you should visit a hematologist.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

I have attached the requested document. Please have a look and advise.

#

Thank you for uploading the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• I see that you have low absolute neutrophils, which can happen in leukemia and lymphoma. But, the RBC and platelets are within normal limits, which are used to stage the disease.
  • Please be seen by a hematologist; I am still concerned that it might be lymphoma than leukemia since I do not see blast cells or atypical lymphocytes mentioned in the report.

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|