Q. What are the different types of nevus spilus?

Dr. Tahir Shehzad
Published on Nov 14, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have a birthmark and I am pretty sure it is a nevus spilus. I read that there are two types of nevus spilus, papular and macular. Can you see my picture to see which type it is? Also, do I have to worry about cancer risk? I cannot see a dermatologist and I do not want to get it removed.

Dr. Tahir Shehzad

Dermatology
#

• A nevus spilus is also called 'speckled lentiginous nevus'. These are dark spots on a flat tan background.
  • There are no different types of nevus spilus.
  • Also, you do not have to worry about cancer risk as there is very little chance of a nevus spilus turning into a malignant melanoma.
  • You do not have to remove it. Just keep a photographic record of its size.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Can cafe-au-lait spots cause neurofibromatosis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have noticed three to five cafe-au-lait spots in my body in which three of them are confirmed, the other two were light and was not examined by my dermatologist. I do not have enough spots to be diagnosed with neurofibromatosis 1, but I was scared that I could be affected with neurofib...  Read Full »

What could the lesions on the back of a 65-year-old man be?

Query: Hello doctor, My dad is 65 years old and has lesions on his back. I have attached images for your reference. What could these be? He has a normal liver function test although his abdominal ultrasound shows fatty liver grade 2. He also has a normal lipid profile.  Read Full »