Q. I got a new birthmark like thing. Is it melanoma?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

I have a birthmark like thing on one of my toes. I am 90 percent sure that I have not had it since birth.

My father passed away due to melanoma. I am much worried about this. Please help me.

#

I have read your query and can well understand your concern. From your question I can understand that this lesion has been present on your foot since long time.

Melanocytic nevi maybe benign or malignant. If this lesion has recently changed any character that is increased in size, change in color, uneven pigmentation, etc., and then chances of malignancy are more. Please observe it carefully.

Malignant melanoma is a disorder which carries a high index of suspicion and especially if it occurs on the feet. Hence, we cannot ignore this lesion.

Since there is a strong family history, I advise that you should get a biopsy done as soon as possible. A biopsy will determine the true nature of this lesion.

1. Melanocytic nevus.
2. Malignant melanoma.
3. Lentigines.
4. Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.

Revert back with the biopsy report to a dermatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|