Q. There is a thin black line on my finger nail. Is it skin cancer or melanoma?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

I am a 25 year old female. Two years back I had noticed a very thin black straight line on my nail in the right hand finger. This line is growing along as my nail grows. Though the line was thin initially, now it has increased in its width and thickness. When I searched in the net about the straight black line on my right hand forefinger, it is showing up as something related to skin cancer or melanoma. I am worried. Should I be concerned about this? I am not very dark, nor very fair. I have wheatish skin. Please advice me. I am attaching a snap of my finger with dark line for your reference.

Also, I used to have three moles on my left hand which had been there since my childhood, but to my surprise two years back they went off easily. I got another very small new mole at a different place on the same hand and that too went away when I scratched it off. Is this something normal?

Do you have a question on Nail Pigmentation or Discoloured Nail?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

MD DERMATOLOGY., MBBS
Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology

Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern.

I have gone through the attached picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Presence of linear pigmented lines on the nails can be due to multiple causes. In white people they are considered abnormal and require thorough assessment including biopsy. In dark skinned people it is a common variant.

The most common cause of these lines is racial factors. Others being drugs, trauma, lichen planus, subungual nevi and malignant melanoma.

You do not have to worry too much, but do keep a watch on the pigmentation. If you notice any variation within the pigmented line or pigmentation on the adjacent nail fold or finger pulp, then consult a dermatologist in person and get yourself evaluated.

Regarding moles at other sites, it is sometimes possible that they can disappear. So you do not have to worry about that.

For further queries, consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Also Read Answers From: Nail Pigmentation Discoloured Nail Melanoma Mole

I have severe constipation and bloating problem, with slight vaginal bleeding. Please help.
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 22 year old female, and I have been experiencing major constipation from the last month. Every time I eat, I experience bloating, and I am unable to go to the toilet later on. Have tried taking Sennetabs, Metamucil, increasing fiber, and water in the diet. I have this problem...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would need a little bit more history, How many times during a week do you have a bowel movement? Please go online and type Bristol stool chart, and let me know the consistency and type of the stools you are having in general from a month. Have you had diarrhea before...  Read Full »

The mole on my arm has two different brown shades. Give me your opinion please.
Query: Hi doctor,I have got a mole on my arm that measures 5 mm and is flat. I have always had this mole. I have not noticed it changing and it has not bled or itched. I am a bit concerned though that it has two different brown shades in it and would like your opinion on it, please.  Read Full »
Dr. Shanza Ikram

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your case (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, I have seen few important things. It is irregular in shape (do not know whether it is in this shape from the beginning), which is not a good sign in my opinion. Secondly, there is ...  Read Full »

Superficial Fungal Infections
Article Overview: Fungal infections of the skin and mucosal surfaces are very common. There are various types of fungi that affect different areas of the body causing distinct symptoms. Most mild to moderate cases can be treated with topical antifungals whereas severe cases require oral antifungal medications.  Read Article »
Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Fungal infections of the skin are a very common occurrence in people of all ages, from babies to adults and the elderly, in healthy as well as immunocompromised individuals. There are various types of fungi and each causes distinct features, depending on the site of infection. Some common types of ...  Read Article »

Ask a Doctor Now