Q. Is it normal for one month old baby to sleep longer than usual?

Dr. Deepak Patel

My 1 month old baby girl is sleeping for seven hours and five hours long stretch at night from last two days. And today, she is very sleepy taking feed for just 10 minutes almost every one to one and a half hours before falling asleep again. Is this normal? Should I let her sleep at night? Her urine output is alright.

#

A 1 month old baby can sometimes sleep for five to six hours without a feed, this is a normal thing. If the baby is passing urine more than six times in 24 hours, then the child is getting adequate feed.

If the child is on some medication like cough drops or syrup, then also sleeping increases. In that case, stop the medication.

A child should feed for at least 15 minutes each time. If the child feels sleepy during feeding, then gently tap on the feet of the child to wake her.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Is it alright for her to be sleepy more than usual? For the last two days she is sleeping very fast while feeding after just 10 minutes. Although, she wakes up after one hour and is hungry. Two days before she was not sleeping properly, only long stretches at night, and now she is too sleepy from two days.

#

Yes, this is a normal thing. Since the baby is passing urine more than six times a day, you do not have to worry about it. During feeding, just give a gentle tap on the feet of the baby to wake him again.

If still increased sleeping persists, then an examination by the pediatrician should be done.

Can I introduce expressed breastmilk in a bottle to my 1 month old baby once a day? Not daily, but occasionally. How much ml quantity is sufficient for her?

#

Yes, you can give expressed breastmilk to the child. If you give by cup and spoon, then it will be better than bottle feeding. Bottle feeding can lead to infection.

At this age, 50 to 60 ml of milk is sufficient for baby each time for feeding.

Is a 10 to 15 minute feed at breast sufficient? She usually pulls back after 10 to 15 minutes. Even if I try, she will not take after that.

#

Feeding should be done for at least 15 minutes. If it is less than 15 minutes, then you should try to wake her up. If the child is taking a feed for 10 to 15 minutes and urine output is more than six times in 24 hours, then it is a normal thing. You do not have to worry about it.

Take care.

|