Newborn Sleep Pattern

Why does my 25-month-old daughter have disturbed sleep and loss of appetite?

Query: Hi doctor, I have 25 months girl who feels discomfort at sleep for a couple of days. For the time she has also lost some of her appetite. I have checked her symptoms and signs. Her body temperature is normal, around 34 but sometimes her hands get hot. She has attended all her vaccines and currently,...  Read Full »

Dr. Samir Bhatia

Paediatrician, Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, thank you for the elaborate history. Hope you are safe. I appreciate your concern regarding your child. This behavior is normal because as the child grows he/she wants more attention becomes more aware of things. Try to make her more playful keep her more active engage in activities wit...  Read Full »

Why does my 9 months old daughter cry and become angry easily since she fell off the bed?

Query: Good evening, I have a 9 month old daughter who fell off the bed yesterday at around 4pm. I didn't saw if she hit her head or how she hit her head. I gently attended to her and looked for signs of any injury. After making sure that there is no injury, I started consoling her because she was crying ...  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Pulmonologist, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: hello thnx for the query.i can understand ur concern.according to ur statement ur baby cries easily, becomes angry easily and exhibits extreme emotions due to suspecting of fall from bed. young children who cannot talk yet will let u know when something is wrong by acting fussy or irritable.if ur ...  Read Full »

Please suggest tips to make my 9-month-old sleep well throughout the night.

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 9 months old and weighs about 8.5 kg. He has reached all his milestones in time. But the problem is he does not sleep well at night, maximum at a stretch it is only one hour. He keeps walking up and only a bottle can soothe him. During the day he is active but nights are really...  Read Full »

Dr. Prasanna Lakshmi

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do not worry. It is a common problem among children aged between 6months to 2 years. Baby is asking for the bottle because it pacifies him. So to put him to sleep follow these steps. 1. Wake him up at morning 7 AM. 2. Do not allow the baby to take more than two naps p...  Read Full »

Please suggest a solution for a baby to sleep through the night.

Query: Hello doctor, My 18 month old baby is not sleeping throughout the night. How do I get him to sleep through the night? Also how do I get him to stop breastfeeding?  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash Nagar

Paediatrician, Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems your baby has not yet developed day and night cycle, or she might get hungry at night and gets up for feeds. I hope she is growing well and must have attained her normal mile stones for the age. No medication is required to make her sleep. You can continue b...  Read Full »

Will offering a scalp massage help kids to sleep naturally?

Query: Hello doctor, How to help the kids to get sleep and fall back to sleep naturally? Will serving a special nighttime tea or offering a scalp massage with some essential oil help? Is there any special night ritual to do the trick? Please share the strategies that you have used and how they work.  Read Full »

Dr. Albana Greca

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Nothing special, just program some interesting and interactive activities that will involve children joyful. They include reading books, reciting some rhyming poems, discussing the things happened during the day. In addition, try to prepare your bed with children, ge...  Read Full »

Please suggest a solution for a 5-month-old baby who is not sleeping properly.

Query: Hello doctor, My 5 months old baby boy is not sleeping well. He will sleep maximum for one hour continuously. Always he will have disturbed sleep. He used to be awake the whole night. I am breast feeding him. Kindly advise why my baby in not having a peaceful sleep.  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is no particular reason for the same. It has been noted that in cases where children are exposed early on to the mobile screen, the sleep cycle may be disturbed. Also, you have to note if the child has any blocked nose or coughing that may be disturbing his sle...  Read Full »

Can I give Cyp L drops to baby for better sleep?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 50 days old. Can I give her Cyp L drops to my baby? If yes, what is the dosage? My baby is not sleeping well, so please suggest.  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Cyp L drops (Cyproheptadine, Tricholine Citrate, and Sorbitol) is used to increase appetite and has side-effect of sleepiness. It is not used for putting a child to sleep. And I would not recommend giving this drops to a 50-day old child. Children below the age of 6 ...  Read Full »

Why is 38 days old baby always crying and having poor sleep ?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a girl baby and she is just 38 days old. She is suffering from colic pain. She is having poor sleep in day and night. Not even she slept continuously for one hour. This is the first baby. I and my husband are only taking care of her. She is not ready to sleep in cradle or bed. Sh...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do not worry. This is your first baby that is why this query. During the first six months, children sleep during the day and stay awake at night. Also, children seek attention during these months. There is no medication for this. You have to hold the child. Common reaso...  Read Full »

Is it normal for one month old baby to sleep longer than usual?

Query: Hello doctor, My 1 month old baby girl is sleeping for seven hours and five hours long stretch at night from last two days. And today, she is very sleepy taking feed for just 10 minutes almost every one to one and a half hours before falling asleep again. Is this normal? Should I let her sleep at n...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. A 1 month old baby can sometimes sleep for five to six hours without a feed, this is a normal thing. If the baby is passing urine more than six times in 24 hours, then the child is getting adequate feed. If the child is on some medication like cough drops or syrup, the...  Read Full »

Is it normal for a newborn baby to sleep for more than 18 hours?

Query: Hello doctor, My newborn baby is sleeping the whole day. He sleeps more than 18 hours. Is this normal?  Read Full »

Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is an absolutely normal behavior of a newborn. They may sleep even twenty to twenty-two hours per day. Nothing to worry. As the baby grows, the duration of sleep decreases accordingly. So, keep your baby warm and feed every second hourly. Thank you and have a ni...  Read Full »