Q. Will smoking once a day with 9 to 10 Nicotex gums cause nicotine overdose?

and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I have smoked excessively (a pack a day) for six years now. I feel the need to quit now but nothing will give me the same feeling and hit that a cigarette gives me. So I have decided to gradually reduce the habit. I have bought a pack of Nicotex and instead of quitting cold turkey, I plan to have one smoke a day and have the recommended 9 to 10 Nicotex gums a day. I want to know if it is safe and hoping it will not cause Nicotine overdose. Please advise.

#

My recommendations would be not to take Nicotine on regular basis. Instead of that, take it whenever you have craving for it. You may take up to 8 to 10 tablets initially, but you have to reduce that also, as few people get addicted to that also. I would recommend you to discuss with your doctor to put you on a medicine known as Bupropion for short duration as it reduces the cravings of cigarettes.

Thanks for the consultation.

The main query I have is that is it fine to have just one cigarette a day and take Nicotex or Bupropion. My fear is that the medication is for a supply of small dosage of Nicotine but when consumed with a cigarette a day I hope it will not cause Nicotine overdose. Please advise.

#

No. I would recommend stopping cigarettes completely. It is not any dedicated way to take one cigarette a day. I would strongly recommend you to just stick to Nicotex and if your doctor is well versed how to use Bupropion, take a prescription from him. However, as far as your query is concerned, it is not that if you will take one cigarette along with Nicotex, it is not going to cause any overdose of Nicotine.

|