Q. Why do I have chronic cough even after quitting smoking?

Dr. Divakara P
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 03, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 05, 2019

I am 53 years old, and have quit smoking 19 years ago. I still have a chronic cough. Each specialist tells me something different. The pulmonologist told me it was asthma, and another doctor said it was acid reflux disease. Now they are telling me it is COPD. I do not have diminished lung capacity or problem in breathing, no wheezing, out of breath when I run but, I am overweight and out of shape. What do you think?

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

There is not much of difference between asthma and COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease).

COPD is usually seen in a person who has smoked a lot while asthma is seen from childhood, which is not in your case. Acid reflux can cause prolonged duration cough, but it shall subside very well once treated for acid reflux. But in your case, it has persisted. So it has to be either COPD or infection of the lung. I would have favored COPD if you were investigated for Infection and found nothing.

Hence I recommend specific tests for evaluating infection as the cause. Kindly get the following test done and revert with reports. CT chest, BAL microscopy (bronchoalveolar lavage) and culture, ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), Montoux test. I hope this information was useful for you. Any clarification feel free to ask.

Please suggest ayurvedic medicine for persistent cough.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 39 year woman. I read about ayurveda on the internet and would like to use it as a means to find a lasting cure for my health problems. I have been coughing for over 2 years now and cough up blood and also have pain on the right upper side of my back. I also experience dizzines...  Read Full »

Please suggest treatment for chronic dry cough.

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from chronic dry cough originating primarily in bronchial area. I feel fatigue, vertigo, lack of appetite and periodic nausea. Please help.  Read Full »

Can smoking cessation cause strained bowel movements?

Query: Hello doctor, My age is 39 years. I have quit smoking, cold turkey after smoking for almost 18 years. It is my 29th day of being smoke-free. Everything was going fine until last 7 to 10 days my bowel movement has been strainful. Few days I have seen very small sized hard stools and sometimes small ...  Read Full »

Ask a Pulmonologist Now