Q. Having some discoloration on the back of the scalp. Could it be folliculitis?

I shave my head with a razor blade once in a few days as if shaving my face. I have been doing this for seven years now.

Four years ago, my doctor noticed that I had a discoloration on the back of my scalp. He said it was nothing to worry about and had probably always been there like a birthmark.

Now, a few years later, it has never actually gone away. It has become bigger, more pronounced and red all the time. It does not itch ever, but it does stay red and feels rougher than the normal skin to touch.

It just looks like a bright red rash that never goes away. It does not turn scaly or white and also does not flake off to my knowledge.

I do not have a lot of anxiety over it, but it is extremely embarrassing to the point where I do not show my full head a lot in the public.

Could it be folliculitis? Could that last for years? Please help.

#

I have seen your query and concern.

I have examined your pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It seems that you are having non-involuting congenital hemangioma (NICH).

NICH present at birth and usually flatter, presented as well defined round to oval, slightly indurated mass with overlying visualized deeper blood vessels (telangiectasias) and a rim of pallor.

You can get ultrasonography with color Doppler to rule out arteriovascular malformation.

NICH do not go away, often asymptomatic and may require excision. But, must weigh the risks and benefits of the proposed treatment.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

NICH and other types of birthmarks are not something that I had come across yet.

I do have one final question. Would it be possible for this to also be tinea versicolor?

It looks very similar to pictures of it and I have had some issues like seborrheic dermatitis on the face before and other oily-type rashes.

#

I have read your concern.

Pityriasis versicolor can be considered if it was of short duration with slight flakes and may be associated with mild itching.

Yes, seborrheic capitis may be considered since now you gave a history of seborrheic dermatitis over the face. But, with seborrheic capitis you may have moist scaling.

Better to do KOH - Potassium hydroxide mount for skin scraping and it will rule out both.

| 

I have a nevus on my scalp. Is that sebaceous nevi?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 25 years old male. I went to a dermatologist, and he examined my condition. The doctor told me that I have sebaceous nevi of the scalp. But I am unable to agree with it. I have read that sebaceous nevi are hairless. Please suggest.  Read Full »

What causes non-itchy discolored patches on the back?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 25 year old female. I have got some pale discoloration patches on my back as can be seen in the attached picture. These started a few months back as point sized spots and slowly grown to present size. It is not itching or painful. I am from rural area. Please let me know the diagno...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»