Q. Baby has white patch on cheeks though pimples are gone. Is it seborrheic dermatitis?

Dr. Kakkar
Published on Jun 30, 2018

My 1 and a half month old baby is having mild cradle cap and cluster of red pimples on his face. The area is quite dry even though the pimples are gone.

This has left a white patch or discoloration on his cheeks. Is this atopic dermatitis or seborrheic dermatitis?

How long will it last and when will the white patch disappear? This is my first baby and I am really heartbroken seeing his face like this.

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

I have noted your concern and I have viewed the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The baby has post-inflammatory hypopigmentation due to seborrheic dermatitis. It is nothing serious and will go with time.

I suggest you apply Desowen lotion (Desonide) twice daily on the affected area for two weeks.

For his cradle cap, I suggest you use Cetrilak (Cetrimide) 5 % shampoo. You may also use Desowen lotion on the scalp as well. Regards.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Atopic Dermatitis - a Chronic Relapsing Skin Disease

Article Overview: Atopic dermatitis is a chronic disease, which usually manifests for the first time in infancy or childhood. But, it usually improves with age. Read Article

Atopic dermatitis is an endogenous eczema (eczema due to internal causes) characterized by extreme itchiness and recurrent symmetric eczematous dermatitis. The involvement of a site depends on the age of the patients. This chronic eczema is one of the atopic conditions and together with asthma and h...  Read Article

I have a nevus on my scalp. Is that sebaceous nevi?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 25 years old male. I went to a dermatologist, and he examined my condition. The doctor told me that I have sebaceous nevi of the scalp. But I am unable to agree with it. I have read that sebaceous nevi are hairless. Please suggest.  Read Full »