Q. My 2 year old son's teeth are exposed and are sensitive. Please help.

Dr. Honey Arora
Published on Mar 06, 2017

I have a 2 year old son, who was born through a c-section. One out of his six teeth is actively disintegrating. The enamel has come off, and the inner part of the tooth is exposed and sensitive to cold drinks. What should I do?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentistry Oral Implantologist
#

• The symptoms look like that of an early childhood caries (nursing bottle caries), which is commonly due to more sweet in the baby's diet and poor maintenance of oral hygiene.
  • I would suggest you take an OPG (orthopantomography), an x-ray of all the teeth.
  • The treatment plan is as follows,
  1. Filling of teeth in which nerves are not exposed.
  2. Pulpectomy of painful and sensitive teeth.
  3. Fluoride application.
  • To prevent this in the future, I suggest you try doing the following.
  1. Always wipe his teeth with a wet clean cloth after feeding. Brush his teeth daily.
  2. Better give him unsweetened milk, reduce sticky and sweet food.

Thank you for your advice. I will try and follow it.

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentistry Oral Implantologist
#

I am happy that I helped.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Tooth Sensitivity - Causes, Treatment and Home remedies

Article Overview: The sensitivity of tooth is one of the most common dental problems that each one of us faces at some stage of our life. This article deals with the causes, treatments, home remedies, and preventive measures to deal with teeth sensitivity. Read Article

Dr. Honey Arora
Dentist

Tooth Sensitivity, termed as dentinal hypersensitivity, causes short lasting sharp pain in a single tooth or multiple teeth. It occurs when teeth come in contact with hot, cold, sweet, and acidic foods or due to exposure of teeth to air. Important Points Teeth sensitivity can cause serious disco...  Read Article

After five weeks of braces treatment, why does my premolar hurt?

Query: Hi doctor,It has been five weeks since I got my braces on. During the second week, one of my premolar on my lower left jaw started to hurt in the morning. I cannot bite down as it hurts. It was loose, and it made some popping sensation when I press it or bite. I went in for an emergency and hoping m...  Read Full »

Following RCT and crown, my gums are swollen. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a root canal performed before four months and a gold crown was fitted before two months. The tooth number is 14. The tooth had a crack in it a few years ago and finally became irreversibly inflamed and required a root canal. My tooth is still sensitive to pressure while chewing a...  Read Full »