Q. My 14 months old son's top four teeth look rough and are crumbling. Why?

Answered by Dr. Naveen Thomas and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Early Childhood Caries or Fluoride Toothpaste? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am a very concerned father of a 14 months old boy. His first six teeth came in, but the top four teeth look quite rough and are crumbling. His bottom two teeth seem fine. He is still almost exclusively breastfed, as he does not like to eat food, and seldom opens his mouth. I believe his teeth cause him a lot of pain. I have included some pictures. He has no other health issues that we know of. He has not had antibiotics and his mother is in decent health although, she eats a lot of sugar and carbohydrates. This is causing us great anxiety, as we need to get him to start eating, and I believe it is delaying his speech because he keeps his mouth closed. Please, help us.