Q. My 14 months old son's top four teeth look rough and are crumbling. Why?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Published on Jul 04, 2017

I am a very concerned father of a 14 months old boy. His first six teeth came in, but the top four teeth look quite rough and are crumbling. His bottom two teeth seem fine. He is still almost exclusively breastfed, as he does not like to eat food, and seldom opens his mouth. I believe his teeth cause him a lot of pain. I have included some pictures. He has no other health issues that we know of. He has not had antibiotics and his mother is in decent health although, she eats a lot of sugar and carbohydrates. This is causing us great anxiety, as we need to get him to start eating, and I believe it is delaying his speech because he keeps his mouth closed. Please, help us.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

I have seen the attached photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The upper front teeth show early childhood caries lesion resulting in decay. You need start giving him other semi-solid food and reduce exclusive breastfeeding.
  • After every breastfeeding, please make sure you get his upper and lower teeth cleaned by using a wet cotton or a finger brush, which you can wear on your finger and make him brush.
  • The continuous sticking of breastmilk overnight is causing this decay, and it needs to be stopped soon. Or else, it may get painful.
  • Use a pediatric toothpaste with fluoride to prevent caries. If possible, go to a dentist and get a fluoride application over the teeth. It is very important that you start other semi-solid food and reduce overnight breastfeeding. Clean his teeth using wet cotton after feeding.

For more information consult a pedodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pedodontist

Can caries be there right at the edge of the teeth? My wife said that as soon as she saw his budding teeth, they looked jagged and malformed. They are chipping easily now.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

#

• The problem is it started as soon as the teeth came out. The bacterial load inside the mouth and the sticky content of breastmilk contributed to the early childhood caries condition.
  • This type of caries is very fast due to the soft nature of milk tooth, so it does not take much time. Start using a feeding bottle with plain water. Just drinking some water after feeding helps in preventing such caries.
  • Usually, after 6 months of age, it is necessary to start bottle feeding of plain water to help cleanse the mouth and teeth. This reduces the acidity, which builds up inside mouth due to bacterial load.

For further queries consult a pedodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pedodontist

Tooth Sensitivity - Causes, Treatment and Home remedies

Article Overview: The sensitivity of tooth is one of the most common dental problems that each one of us faces at some stage of our life. This article deals with the causes, treatments, home remedies, and preventive measures to deal with teeth sensitivity. Read Article

Dr. Honey Arora
Dentist

Tooth Sensitivity, termed as dentinal hypersensitivity, causes short lasting sharp pain in a single tooth or multiple teeth. It occurs when teeth come in contact with hot, cold, sweet, and acidic foods or due to exposure of teeth to air. Important Points Teeth sensitivity can cause serious disco...  Read Article

What can be done for painful, bleeding, and sore gums?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having painful, bleeding, and sore gums recently. Also, when I brush they bleed. Just recently my gums have gotten worse. I think it is gingivitis but my gums have been deteriorating and I have started to brush, floss, and rinse with mouthwash every day for the past two we...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the picture you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is definitely a gum problem but not gingivitis. It seems like a gum injury more like a cut or bruise. Listerine mouthwash and fluoride toothpaste will not work for this. I ad...  Read Full

Ask a Pedodontist Now