Q. After five weeks of braces treatment, why does my premolar hurt?

Dr. Prerna Jain
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 18, 2021

It has been five weeks since I got my braces on. During the second week, one of my premolar on my lower left jaw started to hurt in the morning. I cannot bite down as it hurts. It was loose, and it made some popping sensation when I press it or bite. I went in for an emergency and hoping my orthodontist would do an x-ray. But, all she did was look at it and touch it. She said it is normal. It has now been three weeks, it is still loose and make that popping sensation. I am starting to worried and very paranoid. Should I be concerned?

#

• When braces are put, and pressure is applied, it is normal to expect some mobility of teeth. It can happen with one or more teeth.
  • Unless there is a previous pathology or treated tooth, it is not of much concern.
  • The tooth might continue to be tender on biting. So, it is suggested that you avoid eating hard and sticky food. Chew on the other side to let this tenderness reduce.

For further information consult an orthodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthodontist

|