Q. What can be done for fatigue due to obstructive sleep apnea?

Dr. Rahul Ramakrishnan
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 24, 2019 and last reviewed on: Dec 26, 2019

I am a 22-year-old man. I have suffered for two years with chronic, nearly debilitating fatigue. Doctors initially suspected a vitamin deficiency or autoimmune illnesses as the cause, but all tests came back negative or normal. However, when I started this summer to notice myself waking up and gasping in the night, my doctors decided to evaluate me for a sleep breathing disorder. I underwent a home test and then an in-lab test. My in-lab test results were as follows: my AHI was normal, but my Respiratory Disturbance Index was 11.3/hour. My lowest oxygen level was 82%, and my REM sleep accounted for just 10 % of total sleep time. Based on these results, my doctor diagnosed me with mild obstructive sleep apnea.

My doctor has recommended an oral appliance as the first step for treating this condition, but I know that CPAP is a more common solution. I am really not sure what the best course of action is. All I want is to reduce my fatigue levels and get my life back. What is the best option at this point?

#

As per your medical history it looks like sleep apnea with obstruction. We all can agree that it is a disorder which takes away the quality of life and it is very frustrating at times. Good news is that you have been diagnosed so early. Current treatment with CPAP is the best treatment for medical conditions and things will improve over a period of time. Other things to be seen are overweight, sleeping position, stress mangement and any surgical cause of this obstruction which would require a operative correction. Check your blood pressure regularly.

|