Occlusive Dressing

I have steri-strip over a cut in my arm. Can I take shower?

Query: I am a 23-year-old male (77kg, 180cm). I don't take any medication. I went to hospital in the early hours day before yesterday for some cuts on my arm and they put steri-strips and a dressing on it. The dressing is coming loose, and I can see that the wound is mostly covered with dark red scabs, as ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sanya Dhingra

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello Greetings from icliniq. I understand your concern. You can change the dressing yourself at home by taking anybody’s help. U can apply povidine iodine cream and cotton and then wrap it in a bandage . Also prevent the wound from water and do not keep it open . The small bleb in the wound...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for abscesses, which look like an insect bite?

Query: Hello doctor, I have two abscesses, which looks like an insect bite with a dark spot at the center. Both the abscesses are hot to touch with acute pain. One of them is filled with pus and has started to drain slowly. I have attached the photos. Please suggest some medicine.  Read Full »

Dr. Arvind Guru

General Surgeon, Surgical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It would not be an insect bite unless it appeared overnight. After reviewing the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it looks like an infection of the hair follicle. For such a skin infection, overweight and diabetes are the risk factors. I would ...  Read Full »

Please suggest treatment for Bartholin's cyst.

Query: Hi doctor, I burst my Bartholin's cyst while having sitz bath. But, the small lump without pus is still there. Is there anything I should do now? I am on antibiotics and immediately after bursting I have applied T-bact ointment on the lump. Will the lump get filled with pus again? Please help.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The treatment of Bartholin's cyst is marsupialization and removal of cyst fluid and leaving it open. Now, as it has burst already, daily dressing should be done for the next seven days to avoid infection and start antibiotics for a week. For further information consult...  Read Full »

My burn-like mark keeps increasing in size. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have a small formation in my leg which developed approximately before three years. I have attached the images for your reference. It is brown in color, somewhat similar to a burn. It itches sometimes and it is very dry in nature. This formation was initially around 2 cm, but now has inc...  Read Full »

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and well understand your concern. You are having lichen simplex chronicus (LSC). It arises because of repetitive scratching or rubbing. I could see thickening of the skin with variable flakes...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for dog bite injury?

Query: Hi doctor, My problem is dog bite with some pain. I am currently on antirabies medication. I am a 15 year old male. My weight is 38 kg and height is 5 feet.  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You should clean the wound with soap and water. Get the dressing done from a local doctor with Betadine solution followed by application of Mupirocin ointment. The dressing should be changed daily till healing. You should have antirabies vaccination on day 0, 3, 7, 14...  Read Full »

I got hurt when I was on the hoverboard. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I scraped my skin when I was on my hoverboard. My wrist got attached to the hoverboard tire, and the hoverboard started to spin fast. It hurt really bad. I was bleeding, and the white stuff came out of my hand. I am not able to pick my wrist up as it will hurt. Please help.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do not worry. The white stuff is subcutaneous tissue. I think you should visit a nearby doctor for dressing and local treatment. You need to get it cleaned with an antiseptic like Betadine solution or Tincture iodine or Dettol whatever is available. Then get Mupirocin ...  Read Full »

Following radiation therapy, my mother's skin has become black. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is 55 years old. She was diagnosed with right breast carcinoma around 1.5 years back. She was treated with eight sessions of chemotherapy and then, surgery (mastectomy) and again, 25 sessions of radiation therapy. She got the last dose of radiation therapy around four months ...  Read Full »

Dr. Arun R Kaushik

Microbiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. This is due to the radiation therapy. It will take some time for the lesions to heal. Daily dressing and pain reliever will help. As her immunity is low because of the radiation, dressing of the wound is essential as chance of infection is high....  Read Full »