Q. Why is the wound on my leg taking so long to heal?

Dr. Atul Prakash

I have a wound on my leg following an MRSA infection and surgery. It is currently being treated via NPWT dressing. Originally, the plan was for a skin graft, but the Orthopaedic surgeon is now saying it does not need one as it shows epithelization. I cannot attach a picture here, unfortunately. However, I do not feel like it is getting any smaller, and there are yellow areas on the wound bed. Currently, I am on Doxycycline 100 mg BD and Ciprofloxin 500 mg BD, and previously, I was given Vancomycin IV.

#

I can understand your concern. Yes, it is epithelializing, and you can allow it to heal by secondary intention. It is shallow, and there does not seem to be a lot of exudates. Yes, there is some yellow slough, but that can be removed by using more frequent moist dressings with hydrolyzing gels. Speak with your nurse about that. I am not sure if you have diabetes or any vascular issues as the area around the wound is inflamed and red. The wound seems to be on the shin, and these take longer to heal because the wound is not well perfused. Check your vitamin D levels as well.

|