Q. I found an odd mass in the x-ray of the lower bottom gums. What it is?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

I took an x-ray a few days ago and there is an odd gray mass about the size of a tooth in my gums on the left bottom side. I do not believe. I have been getting discomforts and as a result of that because I am currently getting some pain from my wisdom tooth which is colliding into its neighboring tooth in a slant position. So my dentist wants to send me to a specialist and I am really worried as there is no appointment for a while.

#

I believe you are seeing the gray mass in the x-ray and as such you do not have any swelling over the gums which you can visually see. There can be any of the following conditions according to your symptoms:

It can be a benign cyst, which usually occurs below the lower wisdom tooth and can be removed by the specialist through a small surgical procedure which will not cause much discomfort to you in the near future.

It can sometimes even be after prolonged infection of any teeth like if the wisdom teeth are slightly tilted, it can cause an inter-dental infection resulting in encystment of the infection causing a radiopaque mass seen in the x-ray. It will heal in the long term after using antibiotics for five days at least, else the same above said procedure would be done by the specialist.

It can be also a hard tooth-like odontome which is usually benign and should be removed by a specialist as it can in the future sometimes turn malignant too.

As you can see, it is rather a large mass located on my left, quite far from my wisdom tooth. And the tooth I actually need removing is on the right side. I did go to my GP today and she does feel a little swelling but I guess it is not noticeable to the naked eye. I also start to notice a little blockage or discomfort.

#

I have gone through your x-ray. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

It seems like a hard mass which needs to be removed by the specialist, and it feels just like a benign odontome i.e. tooth like hard mass. It can grow in the long-term.

The only thing we need to rule out is to look for any small carious lesion on the first molar directly above that hard mass. Is that tooth above it filled recently? If it is filled recently then reply, else you have to consult the specialist at the earliest date.

|