Q. Can this hard and tender lump inside my lower cheek be cancerous?

Answered by
Dr. Prerna Jain
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 11, 2018

Hello doctor,

I am 25 years old. Just under my right jawline, I had a tender pain, a couple days later it had swelled. Now, that has gone down but there seems to be a bump inside my lower cheek where the gums meet the cheek. It seems thick or hard, not really moveable and more on the inside of the cheek rather than gum. I cannot see it but I can feel it with my tongue. I drink on the weekends and have used tobacco pounds for the past four years or so on average twice a day. The lump is tender, not really painful and not visible.



Welcome to

The symptoms that you have described are most common to an infection-related swelling associated with a cavitated tooth. This can be easily diagnosed by a clinical examination (you can check by yourself or send a picture) followed by an X-ray (IOPA).

If however, there is no evident cause related to the tooth, it could also have originated in the gums (could be due to food lodgement or an acute manifestation of chronic periodontitis).

In that case, you must get an OPG (orthopantomogram) X-ray done.

For more information consult a dentist online -->

Thank you doctor,

But do you see any way this could be cancerous? That is my main concern as I am a hypochondriac. As it said, it seemed to arise in two or three days.



Welcome back to

It is very difficult to comment on the cancerous nature of the swelling without having a look at the pictures, better still a clinical examination along with X-rays. However, a decrease in swelling would not normally be consistent with cancer.

Usually, all possible differential diagnoses are eliminated before a neoplastic one is considered. Normally, the lesion or pathology would be observed for at least two weeks to see if it heals with the symptomatic treatment provided or disappears by itself. Following which, we consider biopsy as indicated.

I would suggest you get a dental check-up done, eliminate all factors and if it does not subside, then you can give it a second thought.

For more information consult a dentist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I have severe tooth pain with large tooth cavity. Please suggest solution.

Hi doctor, I have a severe toothache that prevents me from sleeping and eating, and there is a big hole in my teeth ... It clearly indicates that the tooth is visibly decayed and gone deeper to involve the nerves and blood v...   Read full

Are silver fillings hazardous to health?

Hi doctor,  I recently had my tooth cavity filled with a silver filling ...   Read full

The lump at the back of my head is painful when I have headaches. What is the cause?

.. whether you have a lump from 13 years of age. Please mention whether you have done any surgery at childhood. Please mention whether you have any other problems. A lump can be bony protrusion or ossification of hematoma from childhood. Dermoid cyst...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dentist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.