Q. Can this hard and tender lump inside my lower cheek be cancerous?

Dr. Prerna Jain
Published on Jan 11, 2018

I am 25 years old. Just under my right jawline, I had a tender pain, a couple days later it had swelled. Now, that has gone down but there seems to be a bump inside my lower cheek where the gums meet the cheek. It seems thick or hard, not really moveable and more on the inside of the cheek rather than gum. I cannot see it but I can feel it with my tongue. I drink on the weekends and have used tobacco pounds for the past four years or so on average twice a day. The lump is tender, not really painful and not visible.

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentistry Orthodontist
#

The symptoms that you have described are most common to an infection-related swelling associated with a cavitated tooth. This can be easily diagnosed by a clinical examination (you can check by yourself or send a picture) followed by an X-ray (IOPA).

If however, there is no evident cause related to the tooth, it could also have originated in the gums (could be due to food lodgement or an acute manifestation of chronic periodontitis).

In that case, you must get an OPG (orthopantomogram) X-ray done.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

| 

But do you see any way this could be cancerous? That is my main concern as I am a hypochondriac. As it said, it seemed to arise in two or three days.

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentistry Orthodontist
#

It is very difficult to comment on the cancerous nature of the swelling without having a look at the pictures, better still a clinical examination along with X-rays. However, a decrease in swelling would not normally be consistent with cancer.

Usually, all possible differential diagnoses are eliminated before a neoplastic one is considered. Normally, the lesion or pathology would be observed for at least two weeks to see if it heals with the symptomatic treatment provided or disappears by itself. Following which, we consider biopsy as indicated.

I would suggest you get a dental check-up done, eliminate all factors and if it does not subside, then you can give it a second thought.

| 

Is the lump on my back fat or a tumor?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a knot or lump on my upper back just in the middle and little right side of the back. It can be felt when I get a massage. Can this be dangerous? The doctor once told me seven years back that it might be fat. What test can make sure that it is not a serious kind of tumor?  Read Full »

Can a lump on the head be treated with medication?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom aged 52 years has got a small lump on her head three years back. Although it was not causing any pain, she is just curious to know if it can get treated by medication. She felt that its size increased slightly, but she does not prefer surgery. For your information, the present ...  Read Full »

Please suggest remedy for small gum abscess.

Query: Hello doctor, I have gum abscess. It is very small and white in color. Should I visit a dentist or will it be alright if I go for home remedies?  Read Full »