Q. Does pale optic nerve occur due to brain damage?

Dr. Pooja Pandya

During the last eye checkup, my eye doctor took photos of my eyes and one of my optic nerves I believe was pale? I am a 22-year-old female and she asked me if I ever had lupus? Or something wrong with my brain? What does this mean? Should I be worried?

Dr. Pooja Pandya

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

How much is your vision? Because in the pale disc, vision will be affected and it will depend upon its severity. And if you have any reports, kindly attach it here so that I can get an idea about your case and depending upon that I can guide you further.

| 

This was the last time I got my eyes checked I do believe and I remember her taking photos of my eyes. I did have superficial keratitis in one eye she gave me drops for and then she took the photos in the next visit and said, one of your optic nerves is pale, do you have lupus? Pain in eyes? You need to get your brain checked. So I do not know if she was just scaring me or if I do need to go see? I do not have lupus or anything, but she just kept being very vague and scary?

Dr. Pooja Pandya

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Thank you for attaching reports here (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

See from your prescription it is not looking like you are having pale disc. It cannot be a pale disc, otherwise, you will not have this much refractive power. So do not worry and continue the use of glasses. You will be completely fine.

| 

Yes, I also have the retinal photos, the one with the darkness, she said that is because my head was not placed correctly on the machine, so do not worry about that. But in one of those photos, she said my optic nerve was pale and that I needed to go get it looked at by the doctor and check my head. Is that right?

Dr. Pooja Pandya

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

I have seen both of your eye images (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

In the pictures you have sent me in that second picture it is looking like there is a pale disc. See, there are so many reasons for pale disc. But as per now, your vision is normal so according to me no need to go and consult a neurologist.

But yes, you should consult a doctor when you have difficulty in seeing i.e. when your vision gets affected or when you have headache or vomiting. Right now do not worry, be relax.

|