Q. Is it normal to see light and shape of human body even after losing eyesight?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

I cannot see with both of my eyes but I can recognize the light and can see a dark shape of the human body if anyone stands in front of me. My eye sight was lost on drinking a glass of whiskey where I doubt that one of my evil-minded friends added something in that glass because after drinking that glass of wine I felt pain in my eyes and the next day my eyes lost it sight. I went to the hospital and there I came to know that my optic nerve got damaged.

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

The condition that you are describing is referred to in medical terminology as methyl alcohol or toxic amblyopia. This presents exactly as you mentioned, with patient losing vision after alcohol intake. The course is variable and patients can have a total loss of vision with optic nerve atrophy. The doctors are treating you for this condition to prevent the involvement of the other eye also and to replenish vitamins lost due to drinking.

The important thing is we cannot accurately predict to what extent the vision may improve and how much vision can be saved. The only assurance here is that the treatment will be protective for disease in the other eye, so you will not be completely blinded. My suggestion is to undergo alcohol de-addiction and continue with your current treatment.

|