Q. Can I start Unwanted 21 after my periods?

Dr. Uzma Arqam
Published on Jul 03, 2018 and last reviewed on: May 18, 2019

Can I start Unwanted 21 after my periods? Four days back was my last day of period. My period cycle is usually for five to six days. Please suggest as I want to start my oral contraceptive.

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Oral contraceptive pills are normally taken cyclically from day-5 of menses to day-24. I suggest taking tablet Norethisterone 10 mg twice daily similarly in every cycle.

Oral contraceptives are ideally started from the start of a cycle, but if you want to start, start now from today and then stick to it regularly. Take the 21 tablets and then the placebos or choose the pill-free period for withdrawal bleed.

The body takes some time to get used to it. Side effects could be headache, breast tenderness, high BP, clot formation, on long-term use irregular bleeding, carcinoma of the breast and endometrial hyperplasia that can lead to endometrial cancer.

Hormonal contraceptives are better not used for many years. Better to change the method to prevent long-term side effects like after taking it for a year, you can have injection Medroxyprogesterone (three monthly) for few months, etc.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Does a contraceptive pill affect periods?

Query: Hi doctor, Are contraceptive pills safe to take? Does it affect periods? Does taking contraceptive pills completely reduce the chances of pregnancy or is there still some chance? Is it completely safe to take it even if having intercourse very occasionally? Or is there some other better way to avo...  Read Full »

I did not have periods for four months and bleeding now with clots. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I had sex before five months, but then I got my periods after 15 days. Then, I had no periods for the next four months. I had Femilon as a birth control medicine. Now, I have periods where large flesh like thing is coming out. A piece of it is still stuck in my vagina, and I am not able ...  Read Full »