Q. Is Cerazette a reliable source of contraception?

Dr. Balakrishnan. R
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 05, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 11, 2021

I had sexual intercourse 31 days back and took three pregnancy tests until today morning, which were all negative. One week after sexual intercourse, I started taking Cerazette as I do not want to get pregnant, and on the same day, as it was due, I got my periods. But now am worried if that could have been an implantation bleeding. The bleeding lasted for around a week and was pretty light which is unusual. I do not know if this is because of the mini pill that I took. My next period is due in a week. Should I take a pregnancy test again, as I feel that I will not get my periods again because of the mini pill? Can Cerazette affect the result of the pregnancy test? Is Cerazette a reliable source of contraception? I have had protected sex ever since then. I have been told not to worry, but I just cannot stop thinking about it.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com

I do not see any reason for you to worry. Implantation bleeding is usually light blood or pink in color, but you had proper bleeding, just lesser in quantity if I am right.

Till now you have not got a positive pregnancy test too. If you think you got pregnant that day, your pregnancy would have grown all these days, and now the test would have been strongly positive.

Cerazette (Desogestrel) is good but not the most efficient of the oral contraceptives. And, it does not affect the results of a pregnancy test.

I would suggest you try any of the following contraception methods after consulting your specialist doctor.

1. Combined oral contraceptive pills (combination of Estradiol and Progestin), if you have had no deliveries.
  2. Cu-IUD (copper intrauterine device), if you have had a delivery.
  3. NuvaRing (vaginal ring).
  4. A patch or a vaginal spray.
  5. Subcutaneous implants.

If you still want to rule out the pregnancy, then get a serum hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) blood test which can diagnose even the initial stage of pregnancy.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|