Q. What are the ways to treat osteoporosis?

Dr. Zubayeralam
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 12, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 01, 2020

Hope, you are all doing well.

I would like to ask a question about my parents. My father is a retired doctor and he exactly knows what is the problem with him and with my mother. So, they have osteoporosis - spinal osteoporosis in my father (63 years old) and knee osteoporosis in my mother (60 years old). The level of the disease is not extreme: my father is overweight yet still does physical activities - gardening, takes care of cattle, walks a lot. But my mother's knee is not in good shape: it often hurts bad and she barley walks at that time. She is overweight as well but she is dieting now. Generally speaking, she walks and does physical activities, but when it hurts, she has hard time dealing with it and gets mentally weak. They both have not lost their body frames though, especially my father but my mother bends slightly. We have tried almost all medication prescribed in our country, none of them worked.

So, the only reason why am I contacting you is that to know what you always use for your patients who suffer with osteoporosis? I need a guidance, please. Please, advise me what can I do for my parents? What vitamins, prescribed medications work best?

Let me repeat again: My father : 63 years old, overweight, spinal osteoporosis, =< moderate pain level (5-6/10), does actively physical activities. My mom: 60 years old, overweight, knee osteoporosis, =< high pain (8.5/10), cannot do too much physical activities. Thank you very much. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Dr. Zubayeralam

General Medicine Internal Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, your parents have been suffering from osteoporosis for the last two years. Your father is a diagnosed case of spinal osteoporosis and your mother, a case of knee osteoporosis.

At first, make sure that they get enough Calcium and Vitamin D,.ensure prolonged exposure to the sunshine for sufficient Vitamin D synthesis. All adults should have 700 mg of Calcium and 10 mg of Vitamin D of a day. Various medications are used to treat osteoporosis as follows-

1. Bisphosphonates such as Alendronic acid, Ibadronic acid, Residronic acid, Zoledronic acid, etc., help in maintaining bone density and reduce risk of broken bone. They take 6-12 months to work and your parents may need to take for 5 years or more.

2. Parathyroid hormone treatments such as Teriparatide are used to stimulate cells which can produce new bone and help to increase bone density.

3. Selective estrogen receptor modulators (SERMs-only for your mother) like Raloxifene are used to treat osteoporosis as they help to maintain bone density and reduce the risk of fracture.

4. Hormone replacement therapy may be used in women for treating osteoporosis as they help to keep bones strong and reduce the risk of fracture.

5. Testosterone treatment can be useful when osteoporosis is caused by low levels of male sex hormones.

The above mentioned medications can be used for treating osteoporosis of your patients as well as measures should be taken for their weight reduction as they are obese.

|