Q. What can be done for osteogenic sarcoma?

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah

My sister's age is 26 years. She fell down on the floor and got right distal leg femur fracture. Later on, revealed after different tests including MRI, bone scan, biopsy report as osteogenic sarcoma.

#

I have gone through the reports of your sister (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks she has osteosarcoma, a type of bone cancer. In the pathology report, they have not mentioned which subtype osteosarcoma and the grade of this sarcoma (high or low). Now she must do a CT scan chest to check for any spread to the lungs. If the lungs are free then it is a localized disease. Usually, for localized osteosarcoma, she may need chemotherapy followed by surgery (limb-sparing surgery if feasible) and then again chemotherapy. It is difficult to comment (step-wise treatment) without seeing and examining the patient physically.

|