Otomycosis

Can an earbud cause damage to my ears?

Query: Hi doctor, I have intense pain in my left ear for last two days. The pain started after using an earbud. I could sense pain in the lymph nodes behind my left ear and left jaw. I took tablet Dolo for pain. I do not have diabetes. Kindly help.  Read Full »

Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is absolutely nothing that you need to worry about as this is a common entity that we daily encounter. There are two possibilities in your case; 1) Recurrent fungal infection called otomycosis. 2) Recurrent infection of the hair follicle in the outer ear known ...  Read Full »

What is the reason for tinnitus in my ear?

Query: Hello doctor, Recently, my ENT doctor suctioned a lot of fungus from my right ear and it fixed the problem. However, high pitched ear ringing continues to be a problem without any pain. It is more of a pulsating feeling and that synchronizes with my heart rate when I am in the prone position. My h...  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are suffering from otomycosis also known as swimmer's ear. It is the fungal infection of the external ear. The symptoms include itching, ear discharge, ear pain, ear fullness, temporary hearing loss and tinnitus. Although most individuals will get immediate r...  Read Full »

Is otomycosis the cause of my deafness?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had otomycosis for the past four months. I felt a bit deaf in my right ear and itchy on both ears. I have already done ear flushing twice. It has been two months since my past ear flushing was done. But the deafness is back again, but this time I did not feel heavy on my ear. I ...  Read Full »

Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Otomycosis or swimmer's ear is one condition that can cause pain, deafness, wetness, and intense itching. The best way to treat this problem is to 1) Refrain from self-cleaning the ear as it can introduce fungal spores from the cotton on the tip. In addition, y...  Read Full »

Why do I have ear pain and black deposits coming from the ear?

Query: Hello doctor, I am facing ear pain since yesterday. My right ear alone is paining. When I tried cleaning with a earbud, the bud came out with a black colored deposit. What do I do?  Read Full »

Dr. Ashok Kumar Srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After considering the facts of your query, it appears like you are suffering from either of these. Wax in the ear. Otomycosis (fungal infection of the ear). Treatment is different in both the above situations. I suggest taking Paracetamol 500 mg for pain relief....  Read Full »

What should I do if my swollen and blocked ear does not respond to Amoxicillin?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an ear infection, and my ear is swollen and blocked. I have prescribed Amoxicillin for one week, but it did not work. I could not consult a doctor in person because of the pandemic. What should I do now? Kindly help.  Read Full »

Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com Thanks for the briefing regarding the problem in concern. I had a detailed look at the picture you have sent (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). There are two possibilities in your case. 1) Fungal infection involving the middle ear ...  Read Full »

How to use ear drops effectively to get rid of swimmer's ear?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had swimmer's ear for about five days now. And I started taking an anti-inflammatory ear drop with a pain killer. On the second day, I felt my ear got a little swollen, and the ear way was blocked. I could not hear anything, and by the third day, I went to the pharmacy, and h...  Read Full »

Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is absolutely nothing that you need to worry about as this is a very common entity that we daily come across. There are two possibilities in your case: recurrent fungal infection called otomycosis and recurrent infection of the hair follicle in the...  Read Full »

Can otomycosis spread to the middle ear through perforated eardrum?

Query: Hi doctor,Currently, I have otomycosis in my right ear and it perforated my eardrum before 10 days. Currently, I have symptoms of conductive hearing loss, tinnitus, and ear pain. It seems to be improving and it is sporadic now. I do not have any drainage from my middle ear with strange popping noise...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per the concern, you do not need to take oral antifungals as it is improving. You can use Candibiotic ear drops (Lidocaine, Beclomethasone, Clotrimazole and Chloramphenicol) as they will be more effective in treating otomycosis and congestion of the tympanic memb...  Read Full »

Recurrent fungal infection in ear with pain and tinnitus caused decreased hearing. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I want to ask about the condition of my ear because I have pain in one ear and I had some fungi in addition to the tinnitus. I recently went to a doctor, so he gave me some drops to eliminate these fungi, but after getting rid of those few fungi, I do not hear as well as the other ear. S...  Read Full »

Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have rightly put it, there is a possibility of recurrent fungal infection what we call as otomycosis. This condition is very notorious for its recurrence even after treatment. Usually, usage of earbuds i.e. q-tip initiate the entire problem as often the cotton ti...  Read Full »

Can ear fungal flakes be cured without medication?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having ear fungal flakes according to my doctor. I want to know how much time it will take to cure and what type of medication generally is prescribed in this condition? And this condition can be cured without medication?  Read Full »

Dr. Dheeraj Kumar Jonnalagadda

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The condition you are describing is called otomycosis. This is a very curable condition in which topical antifungal drops have to be used along with the above medication. The mainstay of treatment is antibiotics, topical antifungal drops like Clotrin plus or Candibiotic...  Read Full »