Q. When should I expect ovulation if my cycle length differs each month?

Dr. Eeshani Dutta
Published on Jan 16, 2019

When should I expect ovulation to occur if my cycles are different each month? It has been ranging from 31-35 days. We are trying to conceive, and I take prenatal vitamins every day. We use Pre-seed lubricant and have been trying for eight months now with no luck. Can I have some advice on how to get pregnant?

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Generally, the rule of thumb is that ovulation takes 14 days before the next periods. In your case, you can take an average of your last three cycles and check with ovulation kit available in the market, starting from two days before two days after the extrapolated date. For example, if your average comes to be 33 days, just minus 14 days on the calendar. So, it is the 19th day from your last period. Now start checking with ovulation kit from 17th day to 21st day.

But, pregnancy is not just timed intercourse. For a successful pregnancy, both the partners need to be in their peak of fertility.

Please mention your height, weight, previous significant history of medicines, surgery, hospitalization, any sudden weight gain, facial hair growth, husband's semen analysis, any hormonal test, and radiological tests, if done. After these answers, I will be in a better position to guide you. Please feel free to contact.

What is causing frequent miscarriages?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had four miscarriages in a row. One had a subchronic hematoma. Is there a reason for this or a way to stop? I have given live births but now I cannot keep a child. What can I do?  Read Full >>

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Recurrent miscarriages need to be investigated actually. You had live births but now had four consecutive miscarriages. It is better to have a thrombophilia screen and products of conception needed to be send out for histopathology to check any chromosomal, congenital, st...  Read Full

There is no ovulation in spite of raising the dosage of Clomid. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been taking Clomid since early this year. I started with 50 mg and there was no ovulation. So, then I took 100 mg and again no ovulation. Now, I am on 150 mg and according to the OPK, I ovulated on the 17th. I know this sounds crazy, but I feel different. I have a pulling pain ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? As you mentioned, it is too early to diagnose pregnancy even in the blood. Had you ovulated on the 17th as you say, it would have reached the tube on that day. Let us say, the sperm too had reached at the same time and formed an embryo, it would stay...  Read Full

Counseling for Newlyweds

Article Overview: Do not wait until you have a problem to seek marriage counseling. Counseling can help newlyweds with their communication skills, sexual relationship, and much more. Read Article

Dr. Purushottam Sah
Psychologist Counsellor

Most people enter the marriage life with unrealistic expectations of a dream life influenced by some popular songs and movies. But soon their dreams are shattered and their married life gets ruined before it takes off. Ideally, couples should seek premarital counseling before getting married. Howeve...  Read Article