Q. When should I expect ovulation if my cycle length differs each month?

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

When should I expect ovulation to occur if my cycles are different each month? It has been ranging from 31-35 days. We are trying to conceive, and I take prenatal vitamins every day. We use Pre-seed lubricant and have been trying for eight months now with no luck. Can I have some advice on how to get pregnant?

#

Generally, the rule of thumb is that ovulation takes 14 days before the next periods. In your case, you can take an average of your last three cycles and check with ovulation kit available in the market, starting from two days before two days after the extrapolated date. For example, if your average comes to be 33 days, just minus 14 days on the calendar. So, it is the 19th day from your last period. Now start checking with ovulation kit from 17th day to 21st day.

But, pregnancy is not just timed intercourse. For a successful pregnancy, both the partners need to be in their peak of fertility.

Please mention your height, weight, previous significant history of medicines, surgery, hospitalization, any sudden weight gain, facial hair growth, husband's semen analysis, any hormonal test, and radiological tests, if done. After these answers, I will be in a better position to guide you. Please feel free to contact.

|