Q. I am a pacemaker-dependent individual. What are my chances of survival?

Dr. Isaac Gana
Published on Aug 25, 2017

I will try to be brief. I am a 49 year old female who has been pacemaker dependent for several years. Due to cardiomyopathy EF of 30 %, BNP of 186, and a cardiac event resulting in high troponin. I eventually was switched to a biventricular pacemaker/defibrillator. I had an echo last week (three months post implant) and was happy to hear that my EF is now 50 %. However, I continue to get edema and dyspnea all the time, and my BNP is now up to 490. Can you help me understand what this means? 

Dr. Isaac Gana

Cardiology
#

I understand your concern.

Although your ejection fraction is now 50%, your BNP (brain natriuretic peptide) value is high which is the reason you are experiencing edema and dyspnea. Increased BNP causes a fluid and pressure increase in your heart, which in turn manifests as edema and dyspnea.

It simply means you are still having a heart failure.

It is very good that your pacemaker was switched to a biventricular one. In my practice, we use beta blockers and ACE (angiotensin-converting enzyme) inhibitors in combination more aggressively in similar situations.

I sincerely do wish you a quick recovery. Best regards.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Thank you so much for answering my question. What is the general prognosis for a heart failure with a high BNP, despite aggressive medication therapy?

Dr. Isaac Gana

Cardiology
#

This will depend on different factors like if you have arrhythmias, the response to current treatment, etc.

Normally the higher the BNP, the higher the chance of sudden cardiac death but, a bi-ventricular pacemaker helps reduce that chance. So, the prognosis can be determined only by a combination of various factors.

Best regards.

Causes and Management for Heart Failure

Article Overview: This article describes heart failure, a condition that is common. It explains why and how it happens and also how doctors manage it. Read Article

Every organ of our body needs energy to work. This energy is provided by the food we eat and the oxygen we inhale. Food and oxygen are carried to every organ through a medium that is called blood. Circulation of Blood Heart is an organ that pumps blood to the whole of our body, including brain, lu...  Read Article

Will diastolic dysfunction lead to heart failure?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 46 year old male. My height is 184 cm and weight is 98 kg. I have been having balancing problems for over a year. It is some form of sensory ataxia. I also have compression in C4-C5 and C5-C6 cervical spine. I also have severe sleep apnea. I had some breathlessness and chest discom...  Read Full »

I got fever with chills and WBC count is 11900. Is it serious?

Query: Hi doctor, I recently got a fever with chills and feeling cold. I took Dolo 650 and fever is gone but still continue to feel chills in my legs and sometimes feel cold. I went to the doctor. He asked me to get CBC test and routine urine test. In my CBC test, my WBC count is 11900, rest all are in no...  Read Full »