Q. What causes pain and bleeding during sex after partial hysterectomy?

Dr. Suchada Chaiwechakarn

I had a partial hysterectomy six years back while in prison. I spent 7 and a half years in prison and I had sexual intercourse for the first time one week ago, I had pain and bleeding and it was very painful. So, after three days I attempted to have sex again, this time it was a lot of bleeding with cramping painful orgasm, still have some pain.

Current medications: Lamotrigine 200 mg for mood disorders.

#

What was the indication for the partial hysterectomy? By the term partial hysterectomy, it means the uterus was removed but the cervix was left behind. If your cervix is still intact the reason you are bleeding now could be from several causes including infection, cervical dysplasia, fibroids or the bleeding could come from your vagina. You will need a pelvic examination to look for the site of bleeding. The bleeding could be from your bladder or hemorrhoid as well.

Cervicitis, vaginitis, fibroid, cervical dysplasia or cancer.

Gene probe, vaginitis panel (Affirm), Pap smear if indicated, UA, urine culture.

Need pelvic examination, then some additional tests accordingly.

|