Q. Will preeclampsia during pregnancy lead to potential CKD?

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu
Published on Jan 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 06, 2020

I am a 24-year-old female. I had preeclampsia with both pregnancies as well as kidney infections during pregnancy. I have a history of UTI's as well. My creatinine was up to 1.67 in all of my kidney infections. Few months back, I had a partial hysterectomy in which my left ureter was cut and not noticed and I was closed back up. I returned to the ER six days after my hysterectomy and was taken to emergency surgery because my left kidney was enlarged and not draining. I had a stent placed which remained for six weeks. My creatinine was 1.7. I had bloodwork done after my stent was removed and my creatinine was .9. I had another kidney infection in four months. My blood pressure has been increasing since then and I had to go to the ER because my blood pressure was about 146/121 mmHg. I am now on blood pressure medication and my blood work shows my creatinine at 1.2. I had a renal scan done that came back normal. Is it possible that I had CKD? Or are there any other explanations for my raised blood pressure, flank pain, and increased creatinine?

I am currently taking Adderall 15mg two times a day, Macrobid after sex, Lisinopril.

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

#

In preeclampsia or eclampsia, patients may present with albuminuria. This may lead to progress to chronic kidney disease. Your urine examination report also showing plenty of RBC (red blood corpuscles). But not mentioned what is RBC morphology in microscopy? In case of renal problems, morphology is changed. But if morphology is intact means it is lower urinary tract infection. Also, check for UTI (urinary tract infection) for your husband. There is a chance of repeated urinary tract infection.

Please review with urine culture report if unnecessary raising of serum creatinine may a need kidney biopsy. Control your blood pressure which may lead to proteinuria and renal problems.

| 

I have high blood pressure and feel chest pain. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I feel pain on the left side of my chest. I have no sugar but high blood pressure. My age is 50 years. I am 67 inches in height and my weight is 78 kg.  Read Full »

How can urine infection in a postpartum preeclampsia patient be treated?

Query: Hello doctor, My 36-year-old wife has a urine infection. She was diagnosed with postpartum preeclampsia after two days of delivery of a female child. She had high blood pressure at the time of delivery but now it is normal. Her average blood pressure is 110/75. She had a severe urinary infection be...  Read Full »

Can placenta percreta cause any difficulty during delivery?

Query: Hi doctor, I am pregnant with my first child. I was diagnosed with preeclampsia in the first trimester. My obstetrician told me that I have a placenta percreta, and I will require a C-section. Additionally, my dentist has told me to make sure that the anesthesiologist should know about your difficu...  Read Full »

Ask a Nephrologist Now