Q. I experience heart palpitations and skipped beat. Do I need medicine?

Dr. Ilir Sharka
Published on Mar 01, 2018

I am 22 years old. I experience heart palpitations with a skipped beat for three years. When I exercise (run), I experience heart palpitations and I cannot breathe freely and naturally (exercise intolerance). I consulted a cardiologist and he says nothing is wrong with my health. After taking echo, I noticed mitral valve prolapse in that echo but he says it does not require treatment but I do not know whether my problem is due to this mitral valve prolapse. Should I take any medicine? How to cure it?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiology
#

Your symptoms could be related to anxiety. I agree with your doctor that mitral valve prolapse is not a serious medical disorder. Anyway, it can trigger ectopic heart beats especially during straining physical activity.

Anyway, if the problem persists, I would recommend performing an ambulatory 24 to 48 hours ECG monitoring and some blood lab tests.

1. Complete blood count for anemia.
  2. Thyroid hormone levels.
  3. Blood electrolytes for electrolyte imbalance.

If all these tests result normal, you should consider anxiety as the main cause of your complaints.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

Article Overview: A 35-year-old woman came to me with a chief complaint of muscle tension. She stated that she has experienced a considerable amount of muscle tension her entire life, but it has become increasingly worse over the last 12 months. Read Article

The above mentioned patient is suffering from Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). GAD can be defined as anxiety and worry about several events and activities for a majority of the day. The anxiety and worry of GAD differs from normal anxiety by its excessiveness, the difficu...  Read Article

Do I need to worry about panic attacks and irregular heartbeats?

Query: Hi doctor,I feel as if I am getting irregular heartbeats. I had suffered from panic attacks quite a few times in the last six months. Since then, I have been having these irregular heartbeats. Although, I have not had a panic attack now, the heart still beats irregularly and it occurs throughout the...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aditi Gupta Jha

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you have not got any tests done so far for this, then you should seriously take a step forward in that direction. You will need an ECG, a 2D echocardiogram and a blood pressure check. Another thing is, if it is a panic attack, then you will know when you are getting it...  Read Full

Why are palpitations occurring even after pacemaker implantation?

Query: Hello doctor,My 71-year-old father was admitted to the hospital for palpitation occurrence and fast heart beating at 143 beats per minute. He was feeling dizziness in the morning. He was given injections to reduce the heart rate and has taken Holter monitoring for one day. He had previously undergon...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ganesh P Sapkal

Answer: Hello, Welcome back to icliniq.com. I have gone through the report that you have provided. He is having the tachycardia-bradycardia syndrome. In this case, the pacemaker avoids his bradycardia episodes only. For his tachycardia episodes, drugs can be given. Sometimes the drug controls it perfectly...  Read Full