Q. Why are palpitations occurring even after pacemaker implantation?

Dr. Ganesh P Sapkal
Published on Dec 08, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My 71-year-old father was admitted to the hospital for palpitation occurrence and fast heart beating at 143 beats per minute. He was feeling dizziness in the morning. He was given injections to reduce the heart rate and has taken Holter monitoring for one day. He had previously undergone two stent placements for blocks. According to his Holter reading, the doctor said his heart pauses for two seconds sometime in 24 hours. He has both bradycardia and tachycardia. They suggested him a biventricular pacemaker implantation that is a St. Jude medical pacemaker. He is allergic to Penicillin. During his discharge, he was prescribed the following medicines: Prolomet XL 25 mg two times a day, Xarelto once a day, Glycomet-GP 1 one and a half tablets a day, Ecosprin AV 150/10 capsules one a day, and Pantocid one a day. He takes his medicines regularly but once in 10 days, the palpitation occurs for about 10 to 15 minutes ranging 20 and sometimes 105 and then it stops. Palpitation does not come every day. The doctor says there is no need to worry. My concern is why does the palpitation occur even after the pacemaker implantation. Is there any way to stop the palpitation? Is it a serious issue. Please help me.

#

I have gone through the report that you have provided. He is having the tachycardia-bradycardia syndrome.

In this case, the pacemaker avoids his bradycardia episodes only.

For his tachycardia episodes, drugs can be given. Sometimes the drug controls it perfectly and sometimes it does not.

You have to adjust the drug doses to control his tachycardia episodes. Consult your doctor for dose adjustment.

In addition to the Prolomet (Metoprolol), I suggest Digoxin can also be added. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicines.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

| 

Does my EKG show any block?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 37-year-old female, 140 lbs 5’5". I saw a new cardiologist yesterday and my EKG results. Results said left axis deviation, LAPB, RBBB. I asked her if I have a bundle branch block and she said no because only the two heartbeats show it and the rest of the EKG was normal. I am worri...  Read Full »

Why do I have tachycardia and dyspnea at night?

Query: Hi doctor, I have tachycardia, and dyspnea at night. It causes sleep disturbance. Please help.  Read Full »

Are heart palpitations, tachycardia and shortness of breath due to mitral valve stenosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from heart palpitations (especially when I lie down or do some physical activity), shortness of breath, tachycardia for the past three months. I am taking Propranolol (20 mg per day) for this. Propranolol is controlling trachycardia a bit. In stress my condition worsens...  Read Full »