Q. I felt my heartbeat in shoulder blade. Why?

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana
Published on Nov 25, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 27, 2019

I felt my heartbeat in my right shoulder blade for about 30 minutes and this concerns me. Is this heart related or stress related? Over the past three months I have had many EKG, echocardiogram and stress test, all were normal. Today I felt a very new and strange sensation while sitting down. My heart was beating fast for about 25 to 30 minutes and I felt it in my right shoulder blade and upper right chest. Please do not overlook because I am young and female. What could this be? Is it anxiety or stress or heart related? I am 40 and female.

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

#

The pounding or racing heart rate you are experiencing is known as palpitations, that is, awareness of one's own heartbeat. They usually are not serious and go away on their own. They may accur during physical or emotional exertion, anxiety, stimulants like caffeine, nicotine, alcohol. Unlike that if you have chest pain, shortness of breath, or dizziness or syncope, you need medical attention and evaluation.

Some of the causes are listed here under:

Anxiety, physical exertion, heavy meals, alcohol, coffee, smoking, medication like for cough or asthma, fever, dehydration, hypoglycaemia, hyperthyroidism, cardiac arrhythmias, cardiac failure, etc. So, now detail your history whether it is spontaneous or during exertion, or following any activity, fast regular or irregular, how many times a day, any associated with chest pain breathlessness or dizziness.

ECG, hemoglobin, thyroid profile. After these tests according to the results further tests can be obtained.

Stay chill, see if you are in any medication. Good sleep always helps.

| 

My ECG is normal and heart rate is high. Please advise.

Query: Hi doctor, I recently observed that my heart rate (including the resting one) is high. Resting rate is between 75 to 85 beats per minute and an average brisk walking rate is around 115 to 120 beats per minute. When I was unaware, I lived a perfectly normal life with 15 to 16 active hours. However, ...  Read Full »

ECG shows RBBB and marked left ventricular hypertrophy. What does it mean?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 12 years old, very active, plays representative basketball and attends a sports high school. Last Sunday, he was knocked over while playing and hurt his arm. After getting up, he fainted. He was fine after that. There were no broken bones, but the medical center did an ECG, and...  Read Full »

Why are palpitations occurring even after pacemaker implantation?

Query: Hello doctor,My 71-year-old father was admitted to the hospital for palpitation occurrence and fast heart beating at 143 beats per minute. He was feeling dizziness in the morning. He was given injections to reduce the heart rate and has taken Holter monitoring for one day. He had previously undergon...  Read Full »