Q. Is it normal to hear heartbeat and pulse in the right ear?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 14, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I hear my pulse and heartbeat-like sound in my right ear if I bend over, especially after exercise or eating food. Is it normal? Can it be due to blood pressure or is it due to any blockage in my blood vessel near my ear?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiology Critical Care Physician General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

The symptoms you feel are called as heart palpitations. It may be due to thyroid disease, anxiety, heart disease, blood pressure or many other reasons.

You need to consult your cardiologist for proper evaluation of the cause and to treat that accordingly. Diagnosis is the first step and that need proper and thorough diagnostics.

Usually taking Atenolol 50 mg once daily may suffice the need to relieve the symptoms. As this is a prescription medicine, your cardiologist can recommend it and prescribe you after an in-person visit.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

| 

My childhood asthma is resurfacing and my BP is high off late. What is wrong?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 64 years old, completely fit, 5 feet 2 and 118 lbs. I have a steps tracker. So, I know my resting heart rate is 67 on average. I walk an average of 18,000 steps a day, may be more. I golf four times a week and usually walk. But, I did have asthma as a child, and it seems to have r...  Read Full »

I am suffering from dizziness and low BP. Shall I continue Atenolol 50 mg?

Query: Hi doctor, I am on medication Atenolol 50 mg for the last 2 years. Nowadays, I am going through low blood pressure. Yesterday, my blood pressure was 115/65 mmHg. I am also having dizziness. I had gone through dizziness and low blood pressure of 110/65 mmHg last month and it remained for four to five...  Read Full »

My blood pressure is erratic. Can you help ?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old. Recently, I started having high blood pressure. It goes up and down a lot. At some times, it is 170/90, and at others, it is 130/80. Recently I have done a blood test, where my Hb was 10.52, cholesterol was 152, triglyceride was 165, HDL 28 and LDL was 91. The other...  Read Full »