Q. My childhood asthma is resurfacing and my BP is high off late. What is wrong?

Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay

I am 64 years old, completely fit, 5 feet 2 and 118 lbs. I have a steps tracker. So, I know my resting heart rate is 67 on average. I walk an average of 18,000 steps a day, may be more. I golf four times a week and usually walk. But, I did have asthma as a child, and it seems to have resurfaced. I have been taking Flovent (just in the last three months) because the humidity and allergens were horrific. I take Benadryl sometimes at night. I do take Aleve or other Ibuprofen daily. I have a family history of high blood pressure. Six months ago, my blood pressure was in the range of 110/70 to 120/80. The other day, I took a reading and it was 141/87. It was the same for the last several days. I am not sure when this elevation occurred. I never eat fast food or processed food, and I am also on a gluten-free diet.

#

You have not put forward any specific query about your health issue. What I have understood is that your average pulse rate is around 67 per minute. Your BP usually varies from 110/70 to 120/80. But off late it is higher.

• It may be due to a stress related to the resurfacing of the asthma attack which I understand is controlled with Flovent.
  • Do not worry. Your BP will be stabilized but, check your BP regularly and continue the medicine.
  • I suggest you take tablet Montelukast 10, one tablet daily.
  • Avoid taking pain killers as they can aggravate asthma.
  • You can continue your regular physical activities. It is good for you.
  • Use a mask when outdoors.
  • I also suggest the following investigations:
  1. Pulmonary function test
  2. Allergy test.

Periodic check up is recommended.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|