Q. Will fasting and lack of sleep cause delirium?

Dr. Amit Jauhari
Published on Jan 17, 2019

Can delirium be caused by fasting and lack of sleep? My 25-year-old daughter is delirious. She does not know who she is, thinks she was in a coma, etc. Hospital ran blood and urine test and a cat scan, all were normal. No new medications. I thought it has to be something physical because it came on so quick, but nothing was found. How do we help her return to herself? Hospital advised Benedryl to help sleep and to encourage food and drink.

Dr. Amit Jauhari

General Medicine Internal Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

The answer to your query is yes. Prolonged fasting and no sleep can cause mental and physical symptoms similar to mania or delirium or coma. It would have been helpful if serum electrolytes, catecholamine levels, and urea levels were recorded or mentioned because BP is on higher side. The advice for adequate rest and a proper diet is also correct. It may be beneficial to visit a counselor to prevent such episodes in the future.

What can be the reason for lack of sleep and weight gain?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is 60 years old. She recently got her tests done. She is not able to sleep properly. She is unable to regain her sleep if she wakes up during the night. Can you please go through the reports and let me know what the actual problem is? I am attaching a copy of the test resul...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through the attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). She has a urine infection that can be well treated by the antibiotics mentioned in the culture report. Her problem of sleeplessness is unrelated to any of these test reports. Sh...  Read Full

Why do I have a crawling sensation post penis surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 32 year old bachelor. For the past one year, I have a feeling that something is crawling throughout my body. I am feeling this sensation after my penis frenulum surgery. It starts from penis glans and spreads across my whole body. Right now, I do not want any medication or treatme...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The feeling of insects crawling inside your body is mainly a psychological condition known as delirium. There are no tests or investigations to prove it. Rarely, it can be because of parasitic infection inside the skin, lungs, and muscles. Anti-helminthic tablets Albend...  Read Full

Is fasting blood sugar 131 considered diabetic?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife's fasting glucose is 131. Her post lunch glucose level is 121 and urine does not contain sugar. Her HbA1c is 6. 2. Her height is 5.4 and weight is 68 kg. What to do now?  Read Full >>

Dr. Bindiya Thakkar
Endocrinologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. By these laboratory readings she has prediabetes. This should be treated. What to do will depend on a lot of factors. You have not provided any other medical history, family history, other medicines, lifestyle, etc. Revert back with the asked details to a diabetologis...  Read Full