Q. What can be the reason for lack of sleep and weight gain?

Published on Oct 24, 2017

My mother is 60 years old. She recently got her tests done. She is not able to sleep properly. She is unable to regain her sleep if she wakes up during the night. Can you please go through the reports and let me know what the actual problem is? I am attaching a copy of the test results of CBP, lipid profile, urine culture and sensitivity test, VITEK test, thyroid test, and fasting blood sugar level.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

• I went through the attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). She has a urine infection that can be well treated by the antibiotics mentioned in the culture report.
  • Her problem of sleeplessness is unrelated to any of these test reports. She has insomnia, and it seems that stress and depression are the major reasons behind this. I suggest she take Zolpidem for a short course. This medicine will help in inducing sleep and help her in waking up afresh the next day. Zolpidem is a prescription medicine and is used for short-term treatment of insomnia. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him/her and take this medicine with their consent.
  • I would recommend her exercises, walks, and to avoid caffeine and chocolates. I would suggest her not sleeping during the daytime and avoiding electronic gadgets while she is in bed attempting to sleep.
  • Start meditation and yoga.
  • Once her Zolpidem is stopped, with the help of lifestyle modification, she can sleep comfortably.

For more information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

She has gained 8 kg in four months. What can be the possible cause of her increase in weight? She was in bed for two months as she was suffering from a meniscal tear. Is there anything to worry?

#

• No, weight gain is probably due to the increased bed rest and depression.
  • I also would suggest her to see a physiotherapist to help her with movements. In any case, it is essential for her to move as her urine infection is due to the confinement to bed.

I hope this helps you. If you have any further queries, please ask me.

I suffer from insomnia. What can be done to get a good sleep?

Query: Hello doctor,I suffer from insomnia that had increased in the last year. I used a lot of medications that were prescribed to me by my local physicians such as (Diazepam, Lorazepam, Alprazolam, and Mirtazapine). Initially, it is useful at the beginning and then insomnia returned. I also follow a beha...  Read Full »

Postpartum Depression

Article Overview: Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depression. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Postpartum Depression Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depress...  Read Article

How to overcome insomnia and memory problems?

Query: Hi doctor, For the past three months I have been suffering from worsening insomnia. I fall asleep with great difficulty. I used to get a light fragmented sleep, where I wake up several times and have many dreams. In fact do not even know if I have fallen asleep or not. I just know that time has pass...  Read Full »