Passive Smoking

Please suggest ways to avoid passive smoking.

Query: Hi doctor, My father is a chain smoker and he smokes inside the house in the bathroom. Our house is pretty small and the smoke easily circulates everywhere. I have advised him many times in many ways not to do it, but he is not listening to me. My concern is not him anymore, but my mother. She was p...  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, smoking is injurious to health, both for the smoker as well as the passive smokers. So, it is advisable to avoid smoking as well as to avoid inhalation of passive smoke. Regarding your query, it is not possible to reduce nicotine concentration in passive sm...  Read Full »

What does third-hand smoking mean?

Query: Hi doctor, My question is about third-hand smoke. My husband and I do smoke and we are trying to quit. My daughter-in-law is so concerned about third-hand smoke. We are no longer allowed to see our grandchildren until we have completely quit smoking. We only smoke outside and are down to five cigare...  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Third-hand smoke is a newly postulated concept of toxic compounds being formed due to a reaction between nicotine and environmental components forming nitrosamines which are considered as potential carcinogens. To be crisp and specific first hand is smoker, second ha...  Read Full »

How do I make peace with my husband's smoking habit?

Query: Hi doctor, My husband smokes a lot. I am quarreling with him often regarding this issue. I feel so sad and depressed when I see him smoking. My husband gives me assurance that he will quit. But, he is doing the same again. Please help me with this problem and save my family. Everybody says to igno...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Udey

Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Sleep Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Ignoring smoking habit is not a solution and you are being subjected to passive smoking which will hamper your health as well. You should encourage your husband to quit smoking as it possess harm to not only his health, but for others as well who stays along with him. He ...  Read Full »

How will cigarette smoke affect the health of baby?

Query: Hello doctor, My son aged 4 years is allergic, asthmatic, as my father-in-law is chain smokers and smokes in the house, due to this he usually gets sick. Now from the past 11 months, he is continuously (except one or 1.5 weeks in a month) taking nebulizers Bedusal 5 mg. Please tell me about his fut...  Read Full »

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. You have a strong exacerbating factor (risk factor) for aggregation of an allergic or asthmatic attack. That is smoke in the house. Unless it is removed no medication will be of use for long term health outcome. Parents need to take a call in th...  Read Full »

Can passive smoking cause SIDS?

Query: Hello doctor, I smoke, and I usually avoid smoking around other people. However, I work at a hospital, and I went outside the hospital, and I lit up a cigarette. I did not notice that there was a woman with a baby, and I stood near them smoking for quite a few seconds. Now I am worried that the bab...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please find my observations below. Second-hand smoke or passive smoking can cause SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) only in infants who are exposed to such smoke regularly and in a closed environment like their house. Your cigarette smoking was an isolated event and ...  Read Full »

Will second-hand smoking cause any lung or heart problem?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a male, 23 years old, 5'7". In a recent incident due to work purpose, I had to be present at an open sky place where 5 to 6 persons were smoking cigarette and hookah around me and I was present there for one hour. The place was spacious but when I felt smoke was coming at me I left...  Read Full »

Dr. Hafiz Muhammad Hassan Shoukat

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Second-hand smoking is problematic sometimes but the amount of time you inhaled will probably not have any effect on the lungs. But it can affect if you have to stay with them every day for a couple of hours. Even then a significantly longer period of time is needed lik...  Read Full »

Why do I have breathlessness while walking?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a normal healthy individual with a sedentary lifestyle. I weigh 67 kg and my height is 165 cm. I am experiencing some breathlessness of late when I walk. Hence, I am trying to understand if there is something wrong in me. My annual medical checkup (over the last 3 years) show my c...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Singla

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I would like to know about your diet? Do you have any allergies? Do you smoke? My suggestion would be to reduce saturated fats and trans fats intake in your diet. Start taking tablet Rozave...  Read Full »

Is it dangerous to stay in a smoking hotel room when pregnant?

Query: Hello, I am currently 25 weeks pregnant and will be staying in a smoking hotel room for three nights. Is this dangerous in any way for the baby?  Read Full »

Infertility Specialist, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hello, How are you doing? Smoking is harmful for the baby, at any gestational age. Be it active or passive smoking, as long as the smoke enters your lungs, it will reach your baby.  Smoke is made up of carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, and tar. These compounds are quite powerful irritants to the blo...  Read Full »

I get red eyes, headache, and chest pain because of cigarette smoke. Please advice.

Query: Hello doctor, Actually, I am afraid of the high sensitiveness of my nose. My head hurts, eyes become red, have difficulty in breathing, pain in the chest. All these problems I get because of only cigarette smoke. I get a problem if anyone smokes at 5 to 10 m distance. So, please give me good advice...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do not neglect this condition. Smoking can lead to a hazardous effect on respiratory as well as the cardiac system like COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), emphysema, chronic bronchitis, ischemic heart disease, etc. So the following work-up has to be done: ...  Read Full »

Can toxins from cigarette smoke get passed on to me during sex?

Query: Hi doctor, I am really concerned to let a 50 year old guy who smokes cigarettes and marijuana, and drinks every day be sexually intimate with me. He touches me, pokes me with his hands and fingers, puts his tongue in my mouth, ejaculates over me on my skin, etc. If he does all these to me, could h...  Read Full »

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concern.  Cigarette smoke contains over 4,000 chemicals, including nicotine, tar, and carbon monoxide, as well as formaldehyde, ammonia, hydrogen cyanide, arsenic, and DDT. There is a chance of transmission of these toxins to you ...  Read Full »