iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersFamily Physicianpassive smokingI develop physical symptoms due to cigarette smoke. Why?

I get red eyes, headache, and chest pain because of cigarette smoke. Please advice.

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At April 28, 2018
Reviewed AtFebruary 18, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

Actually, I am afraid of the high sensitivity of my nose. My head hurts, my eyes become red, I have difficulty in breathing, and I have pain in the chest. All these problems I get because of only cigarette smoke. I get a problem if anyone smokes at a 16 to 33 feet distance. So, please give me good advice. I have had this problem for five years. I am 22 years old, and my height is 5.6 feet.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Do not neglect this condition. Smoking can lead to hazardous effects on the respiratory as well as the cardiac system like COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), emphysema, chronic bronchitis, ischemic heart disease, etc. So the following work-up has to be done:

Auscultation for respiratory sound and cardiac heartbeat.

  1. Physical examination.
  2. EKG (electrocardiography).
  3. Chest X-ray.
  4. CBC (complete blood count).
  5. Spirometry, if needed.

According to the cause, specific management is advisable. Consult a nearby pulmonologist for examination and further management. You can follow back with reports for further discussion. Take care.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri
Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Family Physician

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy