Patent Ductus Arteriosus

What causes IUFD?

Query: Hi doctor, This is about my wife, who had unfortunate IUFD, cardiomyopathy and DIC. She had an absolute normal pregnancy till 9th month. She had no BP, diabetes or other issues throughout and even today. Only issue, she has is migraine and for which she takes Diclogesic. So, it happened on a day of...  Read Full »

Dr. Anindya Das

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all I feel really sorry knowing what happened to you. It was fine that anti-D was not given after your first child as his blood group is negative. This time around anti-D should have been given. But, that does not explain DIC (disseminated intravascular coagulati...  Read Full »

What does it mean to have a hole in the heart?

Query: Hi doctor, Our doctor said that my baby has a hole in the heart. I have attached the reports for your reference. Please explain.  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Valecha

Cardiologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, there is patent ductus arteriosus that is shunting from left to right (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As it is large, go for its closure. Consult any pediatric cardiologist or even same doctors who have done echo may be doing the closure. Medicines...  Read Full »

My cousin has a hole in his heart. Does he need any operation?

Query: Hi doctor, My cousin brother, who is 6 years old, has a minute hole of 2 mm in his heart. Sometimes, he takes a deep breath and is feeble by birth. His birth was a C-section. His father also has some chronic heart disease. His father's sister passed away because of heart disease. All the necessary t...  Read Full »

Dr. Rishu

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.Your brother is suffering from congenital heart disease. It is most likely it can be an atrial septal defect (ASD) or ventricular septal defect (VSD) or patent ductus arteriosus.I would suggest you get a 2D echo done. It will help us locate the exact cause and location ...  Read Full »

What does my baby's echocardiogram report indicate?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby's heart rate is 110 beats per minute. During examination, the echocardiogram shows S1 normal, S2 split 3/6 and continuous murmur at left infraclavicular region. What does the information indicate?  Read Full »

Dr. Rishu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the reports of echocardiogram (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The patient has a condition called patent ductus arteriosus. Usually ductus arteriosus closes at birth of a baby, but sometimes, it remains patent and does not close naturally....  Read Full »