Q. Can PCOS cause breast cancer?

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 18, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 20, 2020

I am 24 years old and I have had PCOS and was on homeopathy for five years. Sonography reports came normal. Now I want to know that if there are any chances of it coming back as sometimes I do feel pain in the left ovary. Also, my grandmother has breast cancer and at times I cough and sneezes a lot. Are there any chances of me getting the same?

#

I understand your concerns, but you should not worry as there is no reported association between PCOS and breast cancer. Also, you should know that PCOS cannot be cured completely, medications and homeopathy can control only the symptoms and increase the chance of fertility if required.

Advice:

Take oral contraceptive pills (Gynera once daily for 21 days then 7 days off repeat every month), Metformin 500 mg twice after lunch, Spironolactone 50 mg once before sleeping as anti-androgenic.

Please send me a copy of your sonography report as well as any performed lab tests e.g. fasting blood sugar, postprandial glucose level, etc. Send me a photo of the acne or facial hair if still there.

Follow up after two weeks.

Note: If you desire to be pregnant, seek advice some of these medications must be changed.

| 

Why should we avoid oral contraceptive pills after 40 years?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question. Estrogen shows cardioprotective effect before menopause. But, it increases the risk of CVS diseases if taken in oral contraceptive pills. And, they say that oral contraceptive pills should be avoided after 40 years because of CVS complications. I am not getting it....  Read Full »

Is it safe to take oral contraceptive pill?

Query: Hi doctor, My girlfriend had irregular periods and USG pelvis showed PCOD. So, she is taking COCP. In spite of taking the drug properly, she missed her period this month. Is anything wrong with her? What to do now? Does she need to continue the drug? Or should she stop it? I heard that COCP may caus...  Read Full »

What is the first treatment choice for breast cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, My grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer three years ago and had a right mastectomy. She however did not have chemo or radiation. She has a little extra fat to the lateral area of the breast that after surgery it looked like a small third breast. Right over the old incision has de...  Read Full »