Q. I had Diane-35 for 21 days for PCOS and irregular periods. When can I expect my period?

Dr. Amit Kyal
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 28, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 30, 2019

I have PCOS and irregular periods. My doctor prescribed me Diane-35 for 21 days. The last day of the pill was fifteen days before. I did not get my periods till date. I did a home pregnancy test, and it is negative. Though it is unlikely I can be pregnant, I wanted to know how long to wait for the periods to come with Diane-35? Please clarify.

Dr. Amit Kyal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Diane-35 is taken for 21 consecutive days with seven days off. The next cycle is started after seven days off on the eighth day, irrespective of the periods.

Though in majority of cases there are periods in those seven days, rarely there may not be periods.

Hope your other investigations, mainly CBC (complete blood count), blood sugar, TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) and Prolactin are normal.

PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) also requires lifestyle modification which includes avoiding high calorie diet, regular exercise and brisk walk.

| 

Recently I took a blood report, which shows low prolactin. Will, it can cause any effect? Also, please let me know is there any possibility for periods to come in the next couple of days?

Dr. Amit Kyal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Welcome back to icliniq, com.

Low prolactin does not cause this problem. This may happen with PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome), which is associated with obesity and high androgen levels.

Since you have taken the medications regularly for 21 days, pregnancy is also unlikely. However, once more, you do a urine test for pregnancy. It is difficult to say whether periods will come in the next few days or not. You should start the second cycle of Diane 35.

| 

When should I start the next dosage? My last pill was on 10th of this month. Having completed 14 days, can I start taking the next pack from today or tomorrow?

Dr. Amit Kyal

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Ideally, it should have been started on 18th of this month. However, start again from tomorrow after doing a urine test for pregnancy.

|