Q. I have PCOS and did not get periods for the past 4 months. Please suggest medication.

Dr. Reetika Joshi
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 17, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2020

I am 15 years old. I was diagnosed with PCOS last year. My last menstruation was in March 2020 and unable to buy the prescribed medication because the drugstore require a new prescription. We are not sure but I believe the medicine is Provera and Clomid. Please suggest a new prescription.

#

I am so sorry to hear at this young age you have been diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) but do not worry it is a common problem among girls and women of reproductive age.

You had last menstruation in March, so it has already been four months delay for your period. Are you facing any other problems as well besides the absence of period like acne, weight gain, etc? Do you want me to recommend and prescribe medicines for periods? If you want medicines for anything else also please let me know so that I can help you better.

Yes, I want medication as I am worried since it has been four months since the last menstruation.

#

For progesterone withdrawal, take tablet Provera (Medroxyprogesterone) 10 mg once daily for 10 days. Then wait for withdrawal bleeding for one week. If you experience heavy bleeding, then you can take antifibrinolytics, tablet Tranexamic acid 500 mg twice daily for the first three days of periods.

Apart from this, maintain a healthy weight. Avoid junk foods and carbonated drinks. Do a brisk walk or exercise for half an hour daily.

|