Q. My daughter suffers with heavy periods and weight gain. What to do?

Published on Jul 21, 2018

My daughter is 15 years old and weighs 99 kg. She has immense pains during periods following which she cannot go to school for around 10 days a month. She has PCOS. She is in grade 10. She was on tablet Deviry and Ovacare. She also faints at times during periods. Earlier, she used to bleed heavily. Two months ago, she bled for 3 weeks and due to which she had gynecological checkup and a few tests. Since she started these tablets, she is getting a lot of clots and her periods are not regular. She has put on weight in the last two to three years. Please help.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

She is a case of PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome). She is having anovulatory cycles with decreased estradiol levels and painful menses with severe premenstrual symptoms.

She needs to be placed on low dose oral contraceptive pills for at least three to six months and Myo-inositol supplementation along with antispasmodics to be used as and when required when the dysmenorrhea sets it.

OC pills shall avoid clots, decrease blood flow and maintain the hormonal imbalance. Also, exercise and weight control through diet would have to be practiced with sufficient daily water intake.

Ask her to avoid, oily, spicy, fried and fatty foods completely. Deviry (Medroxyprogesterone) alone should be stopped and it is not the treatment. Because, it does not contain Myo-inositol.

Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

1. Tablet EVA-35 (Cyproterone acetate) once daily for 21 days starting from day 2 of the next menses.
  2. Tablet Folsitol once daily for 30 days.
  3. Syrup Evatone-N two teaspoons once daily for 30 days.
  4. Tablet Evaspas (Mefenamic acid) twice daily for five days from the day of start of menstrual pain.

This has to be continued for three cycles at least. This shall need treatment for at least three to six months and you would need to follow up.

For further information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

Why am I not able to lose weight even after dieting?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 35 years old and I started dieting early last year. But it seems like my weight plateaued. I have been eating a low carb diet during weekdays and on Sundays, I eat the carbs that I want to eat. I work out 3 to 4 times a week. I sometimes sleep late. I have been on this schedule f...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shakti Mishra
Nutritionist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, eating only low carbohydrate will not help. Follow a protein-rich, low carbohydrate, a fiber-rich diet that will fulfill the purpose. Have three small meals per day with lots of water. You can cheat sometimes with healthy junks. Exercise regularly with walk in ...  Read Full

Suffering from irregular periods and not conceiving. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had a history of irregular periods and now I am failing to get pregnant. To highlight about my past, I started having my periods from the age of 14 and had irregular periods always. Sometimes, I had heavy flow for 7 to 8 days and sometimes it was scanty for only 2 days. I was put ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are a clear cut case of PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). If you are not intending to get pregnant soon, then you should be started on monthly pills of Krimson 35 or Ginette 35 with Cyproterone acetate from day 3 of your cycle for at least three to six month...  Read Full

What is Persinal injection used for?

Query: Hi doctor, I have PCOS and planning for pregnancy. Last month I had HSG. My doctor told that my tubes are clear. My LMP was 25 days back. This month I had Persinal injection on my 3rd, 5th and 7th day. On 9th day my follicle was at the size of 19 mm. My doctor gave an injection called Lupride on my ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are having PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) which signifies that you have some problem in ovulation and subsequent fertilization of egg. As your tubes are open, you need some assistance for ovulation and to develop a good quality embryo. I suppose that you are goin...  Read Full

Ask an Endocrinologist Now