Q. My daughter suffers with heavy periods and weight gain. What to do?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 21, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2020

My daughter is 15 years old and weighs 99 kg. She has immense pains during periods following which she cannot go to school for around 10 days a month. She has PCOS. She is in grade 10. She was on tablet Deviry and Ovacare. She also faints at times during periods. Earlier, she used to bleed heavily. Two months ago, she bled for 3 weeks and due to which she had gynecological checkup and a few tests. Since she started these tablets, she is getting a lot of clots and her periods are not regular. She has put on weight in the last two to three years. Please help.

#

She is a case of PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome). She is having anovulatory cycles with decreased estradiol levels and painful menses with severe premenstrual symptoms.

She needs to be placed on low dose oral contraceptive pills for at least three to six months and Myo-inositol supplementation along with antispasmodics to be used as and when required when the dysmenorrhea sets it.

OC pills shall avoid clots, decrease blood flow and maintain the hormonal imbalance. Also, exercise and weight control through diet would have to be practiced with sufficient daily water intake.

Ask her to avoid, oily, spicy, fried and fatty foods completely. Deviry (Medroxyprogesterone) alone should be stopped and it is not the treatment. Because, it does not contain Myo-inositol.

Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

1. Tablet EVA-35 (Cyproterone acetate) once daily for 21 days starting from day 2 of the next menses.
  2. Tablet Folsitol once daily for 30 days.
  3. Syrup Evatone-N two teaspoons once daily for 30 days.
  4. Tablet Evaspas (Mefenamic acid) twice daily for five days from the day of start of menstrual pain.

This has to be continued for three cycles at least. This shall need treatment for at least three to six months and you would need to follow up.

For further information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

|