Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. My daughter suffers with heavy periods and weight gain. What to do?

Answered by
Dr. Sameer Kumar
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 21, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2020

Hi doctor,

My daughter is 15 years old and weighs 99 kg. She has immense pains during periods following which she cannot go to school for around 10 days a month. She has PCOS. She is in grade 10. She was on tablet Deviry and Ovacare. She also faints at times during periods. Earlier, she used to bleed heavily. Two months ago, she bled for 3 weeks and due to which she had gynecological checkup and a few tests. Since she started these tablets, she is getting a lot of clots and her periods are not regular. She has put on weight in the last two to three years. Please help.

Dr. Sameer Kumar

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology


Welcome to

She is a case of PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome). She is having anovulatory cycles with decreased estradiol levels and painful menses with severe premenstrual symptoms.

She needs to be placed on low dose oral contraceptive pills for at least three to six months and Myo-inositol supplementation along with antispasmodics to be used as and when required when the dysmenorrhea sets it.

OC pills shall avoid clots, decrease blood flow and maintain the hormonal imbalance. Also, exercise and weight control through diet would have to be practiced with sufficient daily water intake.

Ask her to avoid, oily, spicy, fried and fatty foods completely. Deviry (Medroxyprogesterone) alone should be stopped and it is not the treatment. Because, it does not contain Myo-inositol.

Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

  1. Tablet EVA-35 (Cyproterone acetate) once daily for 21 days starting from day 2 of the next menses.
  2. Tablet Folsitol once daily for 30 days.
  3. Syrup Evatone-N two teaspoons once daily for 30 days.
  4. Tablet Evaspas (Mefenamic acid) twice daily for five days from the day of start of menstrual pain.

This has to be continued for three cycles at least. This shall need treatment for at least three to six months and you would need to follow up.

For further information consult an endocrinologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
I am facing irregular periods from one year. Tell me some ayurvedic remedies.
I have thick and foul-smelling vaginal discharge. What to do?
How to reduce weight through yoga?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Why am I not able to lose weight even after dieting?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 35 years old and I started dieting early last year. But it seems like my weight plateaued. I have been eating a low carb diet during weekdays and on Sundays, I eat the carbs that I want to eat. I work out 3 to 4 times a week. I sometimes sleep late. I have been on this schedule f...  Read Full »

My periods are irregular and not conceiving. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have had a history of irregular periods and now I am failing to get pregnant. To highlight about my past, I started having my periods from the age of 14 and had irregular periods always. Sometimes, I had heavy flow for 7 to 8 days and sometimes it was scanty for only 2 days. I was put ...  Read Full »

What is Persinal injection used for?

Query: Hi doctor, I have PCOS and planning for pregnancy. Last month I had HSG. My doctor told that my tubes are clear. My LMP was 25 days back. This month I had Persinal injection on my 3rd, 5th and 7th day. On 9th day my follicle was at the size of 19 mm. My doctor gave an injection called Lupride on my ...  Read Full »

Also Read

This article provides you with all the information that you should be knowing about miscarriage. Although this is an emo...  Read more»
COVID-19 Testing
COVID-19 testing includes analyzing patient samples to determine current or past infections with SARS-CoV-2. Read the ar...  Read more»
I feel a restlessness in my legs, which decreases my sleep quality. How to get a refreshing sleep?
Hello doctor, I cannot get refreshing sleep some days in a week, and some days it is good. I also have difficulty sleep...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Endocrinologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.