Q. What are the different tests available to detect PCOS?

Dr. Monica Mathur
and medically reviewed by Dr.Lekshmipriya B

I had late periods for the past three months. Is there any blood test or hormone test that I can do to detect PCOS since my ultrasound scan was not clear due to overweight?

#

The cause of delayed periods may be due to stress, anemia, or thyroid dysfunction. I suggest getting a complete blood count and a thyroid profile done and reverting with the reports. In the case of overweight, I also recommend checking the levels of LH (luteinizing hormone) and FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone).

Thanks for the reply.

My thyroid test result and blood count result are normal. I will attach the results of the tests done.

#

I had gone through the reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). The thyroid test is normal, so it is not the cause for irregularity in your menstrual cycles as it is normal. Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) is a condition in which one or both ovaries have multiple follicles in them. It can be diagnosed easily by an ultrasound of your lower abdomen. In your case, I suggest having transvaginal sonography, which is done below, and obesity does not cause a problem. Please revert back with the ultrasound report to make the proper diagnosis. The LH and FSH ratios are also indicators of PCOS, but the ultrasound report is confirmative evidence.

Thanks for the reply.

The doctor and radiologist told me a transvaginal atlas scan could not be done in my case as I am not married. The transvaginal scan is done only for married women in my area. That is why I was looking for other options to know if I have PCOS. Are there any hormone tests other than LH, FSH, and testosterone that indicate PCOS?

#

Before doing tests, I would like to know if you have any acne or increased growth of a male kind, like hair growth over the chin or chest. If yes, then I suggest going ahead with the hormone test and reverting with the reports for confirmation to define a treatment protocol.

Thanks for the reply.

I do not have any acne or hair growth, but I would like to inform you that I made a sudden shift to a vegetarian diet five months back. I was a complete non-vegetarian until then. My periods were completely regular until then. There was not even a single instance of irregularity. But after the diet change, I got regular periods only for two months. I would like to know if that diet change could be a reason for irregular periods.

#

The change to a vegetarian diet is a good habit, and it does not lead to any change in your menstrual cycles. Still, as non-vegetarian is very rich in proteins, you should have a high protein diet with less fat and saturated fatty acids. I suggest checking LH and FSH levels.

I also suggest losing weight by going to the gym or walking as losing weight also partially cures PCOS.

|