Penicillin

Does Penicillin intake cause the development of hives in Epstein-Barr virus infections?

Query: Hi doctor, I was taken into primary care last night and diagnosed with a septic throat and hives on my body. I was given a prescription for antibiotics and steroids. It has been 24 hours since I was checked, and my throat is better, but the hives on my body have spread and started to form hard lump...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajendran R Nayar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand that you are suffering from fever, sore throat, hives, and blisters. You are currently on antibiotics, steroids, and anti-histamines. Persons with infection by the Epstein-Barr virus can result in rashes when they take Penicillin-containing medicatio...  Read Full »

Will intake of Penicillin help to reduce high ASO titer levels and generalized body weakness?

Query: Hi doctor,I was feeling tired all the time before few months. I went to a doctor and he asked me to do a ASO titer test with a couple of other tests. The result was 407 IU/mL. So, he told me to take Penicillin for the next three months. After a month, I did another test and visited another doctor. M...  Read Full »

Dr. Vineet Jain

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can have fibromyalgia. It is a common post-infection, especially like Covid or post streptococcus infection. The high ASO (antistreptolysin O) titer level indicates that you are resistant to Penicillin or the levels do not correlate with your symptoms. You can do...  Read Full »

Should I get my tonsils removed for recurrent tonsillitis?

Query: Hi doctor, In June, I had a bacterial infection, strep throat which I then took Penicillin for it. I did not finish the course. I stopped probably five days early. Because of this two weeks later out of no where my tonsilitis returned as the bacteria supposedly found the strength to cause pain aga...  Read Full »

Dr. Laxmi Narasimha G Yadav

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through all your history of complaints and images (attachment removed to protect patient identity) that you post can give a picture of diagnosis that pharyngotonsillitis (grade 3). Grade 3 means enlarged tonsils half of the size coming out of tonsillar fo...  Read Full »